Do people use a diff type of soil when planting on a slab or rock?

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi guys ! When I see pictures of tree or forrest planting on a slab or a rock, the soil looks like regular potting mix and not Akadama and such. I tried to do this with typical bonsai mix and the loose substrate just run down the slope instead of holding together and not move. Am I suppose to use a diff type of bonsai soil mix when I do such planting when theres nothing to hold the soil in place ? Thanks

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ive heard people use a soil called "muck" which is thicker and sticky. Maybe someone can give some insight into a "muck mix". Ive never planted on a slab so no first hand experience.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Muck is muddy stuff like potter's clay and sphagnum that is used to make the equivalent of pot walls around the bonsai substrate on flat or shallow slabs. Acadama-cists also put Akadama fines in their muck. The muck is covered with moss and the moss is usually extended over part if not all of the bonsai substrate to disguise/obscure it all.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
people use a clay-based muck to build little retantion walls in the slab. Then, you can plant your trees in normal bonsai soil.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is Napa 8822, you can see a layer of silt on the top from the bottom of the moss, this holds everything on while establishing.
20190827_090916.jpg

20190827_090929.jpg

This has enough roots all thru to hold it together, I can leave it like this, and though it may erode away a bit, it'll be too slow to kill it.
20190827_091915.jpg

Keep it mossed fresh anyway!
20190827_100136.jpg

This was a couple months ago, that moss took hold again and overgrew in a month or so.
Don't cut it down like Nigel does,
Cut it up!
Replace with fresh tops!

Sorce

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thank you Sorce...Thats some nice moss you got there.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi guys ! When I see pictures of tree or forrest planting on a slab or a rock, the soil looks like regular potting mix and not Akadama and such. I tried to do this with typical bonsai mix and the loose substrate just run down the slope instead of holding together and not move. Am I suppose to use a diff type of bonsai soil mix when I do such planting when theres nothing to hold the soil in place ? Thanks
Michael Hagedorn has a great write up with a recipe for " muck " on his website Craetegus.com. He has some amazing slab creations in his display garden. Check it out!

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Muck also known as Keto.

I don't think that is entirely correct. My understanding is that keto-tsuchi is an organic rich peat-like substance that is used in the creation of muck.

Top Bottom