Drawf Shefflera

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Can anyone suggest how to get the main body to become more woody?"

Time...

It just takes time for bark to mature. Allowing the tree maximum root run (in ground) can accelerate the process, but if you're in a temperate zone area, that's impossible with this species.

"Also what does taking the leaves off do?"

At this point, for you, since you want more mature trunks, nothing-- except slow the development of the trunks. With trees in more advanced stages of training, leaf pruning can stimulate the production of more twigs on branches--ramification.

Nojnagrom

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hi just wondering how your schefflera is doing

Jessf

Mame
Reaction score
winter growth

CIMG1537.jpg

I wanted to defoliate earlier this season and perhaps cut a few major branches. The 90 degree angle in the lowest branch needs attention but I'm unsure what I'll do with it.
CIMG1545.jpg

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
She's doing well. We're still in the process of saving for the honeymoon/wedding, so no significant developments thus far...but soon to come, hopefully.

How's the truck? I'm still determined to get one of those things! lol

Nice progress with the tree, by the way. I gave up on Scheffs, but they're still one of my favorite trops. ;)

Jessf

Mame
Reaction score
Truck runs like a dream. Had to get snows this winter and it made a world of difference. So much traction, I wasn't accustomed to it.

I'm thinking about air layering the end of that lower branch and perhaps making a small cascade style. Concern is I've never air layered a thing. I've been reading a lot on air layering scheff in general so I have an idea of what I could do, but am unsure if it's the best method. I'll cut halfway through the branch, apply rooting hormone, wrap in spagnum and plastic wrap then wait. Any ideas? Should the branch have leaves when I do the air layer or should I prune them off? The branch is roughly 3/4" thick.

winter growth

CIMG1537.jpg

I wanted to defoliate earlier this season and perhaps cut a few major branches. The 90 degree angle in the lowest branch needs attention but I'm unsure what I'll do with it.
CIMG1545.jpg

linlaoboo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would think you need to keep the leaves on when air layering since having leaves will help it generate roots in order to support the part you're layering. I've not air layered a scheff b/f but have done other trees and in general you cut through the cambian layer all around the branch, move 1/2" to 3/4" over, circle cut it again and remove the whole bark in that section. Maybe more experienced folks can chime in.

Jessf

Mame
Reaction score
what you're describing is the method I've seen most for trees in general and it seems to work well. It's also a method I'm not sure I fully understand the benefits of. If you've cut through the cambium all the way around, haven't you cut off the air layer's connection to the root system of the parent plant? Doesn't this essentially create a cutting? If so, then why not cut off the branch and employ cutting propagation methods. This is the part I struggle with and it’s why I lean more towards cutting some of the cambium layer, leaving a little life line.

Scheff cuttings will not root (in my experience) without leaves so I’ll probably keep some leaves as you say.

Last edited:

BonsaiMon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Jessf .. good progress on your sheff.. i feel removing the lower branch is the way to go..

Truck runs like a dream. Had to get snows this winter and it made a world of difference. So much traction, I wasn't accustomed to it.

I'm thinking about air layering the end of that lower branch and perhaps making a small cascade style. Concern is I've never air layered a thing. I've been reading a lot on air layering scheff in general so I have an idea of what I could do, but am unsure if it's the best method. I'll cut halfway through the branch, apply rooting hormone, wrap in spagnum and plastic wrap then wait. Any ideas? Should the branch have leaves when I do the air layer or should I prune them off? The branch is roughly 3/4" thick.

.. hard to tell how the lower branch has fused to the main trunk.. you may be able to pull it off and get the roots attached to it also.. this will save air layer time and give you a good head start with a cascade. You have a good idea on how to airlayer .. I usually totally strip the bark twice the diameter of the branch being removed. I also use alum foil .. keeping it in the dark incourages rooting.. in the subtropics during the summer I didn't use root hormone.. just soaked spagnum moss and foil. I don't see any leaves at present, and you may also wait till the nite temps get warmer 70F+ is ideal.. leaves are good to have for a layer.. linlaoboo is right on.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Scheff. don't fuse, from what I've seen/heard at least.

Jessf

Mame
Reaction score
Hi Jessf .. good progress on your sheff.. i feel removing the lower branch is the way to go..

.. hard to tell how the lower branch has fused to the main trunk.. you may be able to pull it off and get the roots attached to it also.. this will save air layer time and give you a good head start with a cascade. You have a good idea on how to airlayer .. I usually totally strip the bark twice the diameter of the branch being removed. I also use alum foil .. keeping it in the dark incourages rooting.. in the subtropics during the summer I didn't use root hormone.. just soaked spagnum moss and foil. I don't see any leaves at present, and you may also wait till the nite temps get warmer 70F+ is ideal.. leaves are good to have for a layer.. linlaoboo is right on.

thanks for the kind words. Leaves are begining to pop and there's a bunch of new buds, so it shouldn't be long before I can try the air layer. I do think I'll keep the bottom of the branch in place though and not remove it entirely. I post a pic with some notes on it to better explain my plan.

And Redwood Ryan is correct, as far as my experience goes. nothing's fused on this tree, not yet at least. everything is smushed together.

Last edited:

BonsaiMon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ryan .. perhaps fused may have been the wrong terminogy.. it might be a branch that grew from the trunk and the roots sprouted off of the branch close to the trunk..
anywho.. over time they will grow around one another, ie: roots, branches and trunks causing a situation close enuf to refer to it a fused sitiation.. making separation difficult without damaging. The key word is time...
05312012 043.jpg05312012 040.jpg05312012 041.jpg
Purpousely fusing as in grafting .. in this use of the word, i believe you are correct but they will grow around each other.

Jessf

Mame
Reaction score
The length and straightness of the branch is the part that bugs me the most. I let it grow for too long without pruning. Once I air-layer around the blue line, I can wait for some new buds and begin again with the branch, this time adding taper and curves and perhaps more roots.
CIMG1542.jpg

I want the air-layered part to be around mame size when complete.

Picture taken today.
We've had a few unseasonably hot days here with no rain. If you look closely you can see the top layer of last years green growth has turned yellow. Lack of attention on my part and I didn't mist it like I should have. I was convinced I'd lose last years green growth. But if you look closely you can see little buds poking out from beneath the dried up stems on both the top and bottom of each branch. That small leaf on the end is new growth. 18 days since defoliation.
100_5586.jpg

JD_SouthFL

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
JessF,

I've read through the whole thread and I really like what you've done. I have a scheff that I will be repotting and defoliating this month.

Seeing as it's been exactly a year since the last defoliation (that you posted), could you update us with your progress thus far?

-JD

Top Bottom