Dried, wilting/dead leaves interspersed with healthy ones?

Emily345

Seedling
Reaction score
My ficus ligustrum (or nitida, not sure which) seems to be growing plenty, with healthy vibrant leaves but over the past few weeks it's been dropping leaves, some of which are coming off of healthy branches. There are these dead leaves falling and they seem to be randomly placed among healthy leaves. What's going on here?

I've also noticed a lot of drooping in general, but it doesn't seem to strop the tree from growing.

This photo is from when I first got it in May/early June-ish, it probably has about 1/4 to 1/2 more foliage on it now.

I repotted about a month after getting it, in July or so. I also removed all the rocks and most of the moss, and have in a general potting mix now.

Tuff call......May be just winter.

Just the old leaves?

I think the soil may be a concern.

I noticed, that if a ficus is in bad soil, it will start growing new roots higher, which will keep it growing while the others rot away.
Eventually, it may not be able to keep up, when you notice a decline.

But I am unsure. Does the pot smell?
Drainage?

Sorce

There are these dead leaves falling and they seem to be randomly placed among healthy leaves. What's going on here?

I don't see a location or USDA Zone in your profile but what you describe often happens here when we bring ours inside for the Winter. Many actually drop all foliage and grow it back in a couple of weeks. If that is the case slow down the water a LOT and do not fertilize. Slowly increase water as the plant "comes back". If you did not move it but the outdoor nights are a lot cooler it could also be that it is to close to the window at night...

Grimmy

"have in a general potting mix now." "removed most of the moss"

Potting soil is mostly a death sentence for bonsai. Stays waay too wet and refuses to be re-wetted if left to dry out. It is unforgiving with watering mistakes (which is the most common mistake new bonsaiists make) Throw in moss to retain even more water and very little light and you have a recipe for root rot. Green leaves dropping off branches for no apparent reason is a symptom of a watering issue.

I don't see a location or USDA Zone in your profile but what you describe often happens here when we bring ours inside for the Winter. Many actually drop all foliage and grow it back in a couple of weeks. If that is the case slow down the water a LOT and do not fertilize. Slowly increase water as the plant "comes back". If you did not move it but the outdoor nights are a lot cooler it could also be that it is to close to the window at night...

Grimmy
I live on the east coast of Canada. I had it out in the summer for a few days, but it's been inside for months now, it's strictly indoor. It could be the temperature change inside the house too... I have heat on but it's still not as warm as summer.

"have in a general potting mix now." "removed most of the moss"

Potting soil is mostly a death sentence for bonsai. Stays waay too wet and refuses to be re-wetted if left to dry out. It is unforgiving with watering mistakes (which is the most common mistake new bonsaiists make) Throw in moss to retain even more water and very little light and you have a recipe for root rot. Green leaves dropping off branches for no apparent reason is a symptom of a watering issue.

I repotted it in July, would it be safe to repot now in November? (It's indoor plant but I've read they should only be repotted in Spring)

What would be a better soil to use?

Back
Top Bottom