Dwarf alberta spruce forest 2 (Jeans Dilly)

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I learned a lot from my first forest planting so I decided to make another. This one utilizes “Jeans Dilly” spruces. They appear to be more compact and have smaller needles than the “Conica” variety.
The two largest trees had tiny “saplings” growing from the soil around the trunks.
The largest tree is approximately 2’ tall.

If anyone has questions or feedback, please share.

Attachments

• 7B78BB65-DACA-49CA-AFF8-F1A0BC3423E0.jpeg
    7B78BB65-DACA-49CA-AFF8-F1A0BC3423E0.jpeg
    330.5 KB · Views: 153
  • 64150F82-D1DC-429E-A191-F16F3177E8B3.jpeg
    64150F82-D1DC-429E-A191-F16F3177E8B3.jpeg
    370.3 KB · Views: 145

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Cruiser, I think your trees are too far apart. I know this is the most difficult part of putting together a forest, but if your thinking these will grow together to fill in the spaces, they won't.
So what to do? You have to take most of the roots off one side of the trees and set these sides next to each other. Get two to stand next to each other. Your two main trees. This forms the center of your planting. The rest can be a little further apart and can spread as you move away from the center.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi Cruiser, I think your trees are too far apart. I know this is the most difficult part of putting together a forest, but if your thinking these will grow together to fill in the spaces, they won't.
So what to do? You have to take most of the roots off one side of the trees and set these sides next to each other. Get two to stand next to each other. Your two main trees. This forms the center of your planting. The rest can be a little further apart and can spread as you move away from the center.
Thanks. I see what you’re saying.
I didn’t want to remove too many roots just yet, so they went in that way. In the future, how feasible is it to remove trees from the grouping and re position (like next year)?

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Cruiser, I do apologise! I didn't mean to say I didn't like it or appreciate the work it took to put this together, with a difficult species to boot!
You're off to a good start and it will only get better as you refine the branches.
For your next attempt try spending a few years preparing your trees before planting. Usually when you get trees they are centered in the pots. Take them out and remove a portion of the roots on one side and repot it on the side of the pot. I also like to prune the roots on two trees and repot them together or three little ones. As they recuperate from this you have time to evaluate the branching and make adjustments so when you bring it all together there's not a lot of trying to make it all fit up.
I've done forest a few different ways and thoroughly enjoyed each method.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey Cruiser, I do apologise! I didn't mean to say I didn't like it or appreciate the work it took to put this together, with a difficult species to boot!
You're off to a good start and it will only get better as you refine the branches.
For your next attempt try spending a few years preparing your trees before planting. Usually when you get trees they are centered in the pots. Take them out and remove a portion of the roots on one side and repot it on the side of the pot. I also like to prune the roots on two trees and repot them together or three little ones. As they recuperate from this you have time to evaluate the branching and make adjustments so when you bring it all together there's not a lot of trying to make it all fit up.
I've done forest a few different ways and thoroughly enjoyed each method.
No worries, I didn’t interpret the feedback in a negative way. I’m always open to suggestions!
I like what you’re saying in regards to root management, I just hope I can muster the patience for it! It seems that already having the roots and spacing figured out before planting would mean one less insult for the tree to deal with...

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't see anything in the composition that really bothers my eye and you've done a good job of using forced perspective and balance. Maybe that main tree could be further forward. Right now it seems like the front trees are in a line perpendicular to the front. On close inspection, I can see that they aren't, but another inch would remove my eye's doubt.

I like that you've not tried to make the branches descend (a futile long-term effort with DAS, in my opinion).

Top Bottom