Dwarf Crepe Myrtles

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Ok, I could not find my previous threads on my crepes, so I decided to start a new one. I repotted some of them today, I have a bunch, probably too many, they root like weeds so I guess I need to stop putting cuttings in the ground. Here are the highlights:

Number one:

Here is what I started with.

DSC00630-1.jpg

After a little trim.

DSC00631-6.jpg

A look under the hood. Note to self, do not use pots that flare out wider than the lip. I makes it extremely difficult to get the tree out of the pot.

DSC00633-6.jpg

DSC00636-6.jpg

Roots all trimmed.

DSC00638-6.jpg

All potted up in a new pot.
DSC00640-6.jpg

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Number Three:

After a little trim.

DSC00619-8.jpg

Lots of roots.

DSC00621-1.jpg

Roots cleaned up, I left a little more on this one to hopefully get some extra growth, plus I had room for them.

DSC00623-1.jpg

All potted up.

DSC00624-1.jpg

Chad D

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cool. What varieties? They grow like weeds here. I can only find Pocomoke dwarf variety around here though. Everything else is mid to large size varities.

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
^^ Crepes graft easily. Get a couple dwarfs to use as scion stock.

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I change it like every 2-3 days.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Number Three:

After a little trim.

View attachment 98773

Lots of roots.

View attachment 98774

Roots cleaned up, I left a little more on this one to hopefully get some extra growth, plus I had room for them.

View attachment 98775

All potted up.

View attachment 98776

With Maples, CM, Elms... It seems you can sometimes get MORE a grow by removing more roots (to an extent obviously, you don't want to take it to the extremes and kill the tree...). Something about the tree thinking it has more room to grow the top when the roots have room to grow... Just an observation. You may not get the desired result by leaving more roots on it!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
With Maples, CM, Elms... It seems you can sometimes get MORE a grow by removing more roots (to an extent obviously, you don't want to take it to the extremes and kill the tree...). Something about the tree thinking it has more room to grow the top when the roots have room to grow... Just an observation. You may not get the desired result by leaving more roots on it!

I have noticed that, I cut a bunch off, just not as much as the others.

Top Bottom