Dwarf English Boxwood - Answer appreciated

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I titled it like this because anytime someone asks when to wire a Boxwood I never see a direct answer and most times the topic shifts to root work, potting, etc...
I picked up this tiny plant just to have something to do other then look at empty pots and trainers. I purchased it on 5/30/15, put it in quarantine and treated it for two weeks. Almost two weeks ago I took the initial 20 inch or so "ball" and knocked it back, thinned it, and did a mass root reduction.
It seems to have taken well and I was wanting to wire some shape into the branches and reduce it more. Currently it is in a 5 x 3 3/4 x 2 inch trainer where it will remain for a long time.

Question: Should I wire the branches to start training now or wait? I already know it can be trimmed, etc... but I really want to know when wiring will produce the best results.

This plant is pretty tiny and by Bonsai standards "junk" but I would like to take some time and learn the species and get solid advice!

Thanks in advance :)

Grimmy

Attachments

• GEDC1532.JPG
    GEDC1532.JPG
    280.1 KB · Views: 96

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've wired my boxwood during summer with no ill results. I've also wired in winter... I do not think they are particularly picky plants. I think with boxwood, it's best to wire before they get too thick.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What Judy said! The exact same thing went thru my mind when I looked at the photo. The ones you will likely be able to wire successfully are likely the green small ones. I guess some varieties still remain flexible when lignified.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These dwarf English boxwoods (buxus sempervirens) did fine without wire, but it took about 260 years to get to this point. All these are among the dozens of dwarf English boxwood at George Mason's Gunston plantation on Mason Neck, Va. about 5 miles from my house. dwarfbox1.jpg dwarfbox2.jpg

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've wired my boxwood during summer with no ill results. I've also wired in winter... I do not think they are particularly picky plants. I think with boxwood, it's best to wire before they get too thick.

:)

What Judy said! The exact same thing went thru my mind when I looked at the photo. The ones you will likely be able to wire successfully are likely the green small ones. I guess some varieties still remain flexible when lignified.

Thank you both! I am getting a little stir crazy so I figured why not learn a few plants that are new to me before I replace all stock recently lost. Time well spent I think and without any real investment. Again, thank you for the time and a "straight up" answer :cool:

Edit: Funny thing how I just realized I will be spending 20.00USD on copper for a 6.88USD plant - go figure :p

Grimmy

Last edited:

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
These dwarf English boxwoods (buxus sempervirens) did fine without wire, but it took about 260 years to get to this point. All these are among the dozens of dwarf English boxwood at George Mason's Gunston plantation on Mason Neck, Va. about 5 miles from my house.

Wow!

Grimmy

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
These dwarf English boxwoods (buxus sempervirens) did fine without wire, but it took about 260 years to get to this point. All these are among the dozens of dwarf English boxwood at George Mason's Gunston plantation on Mason Neck, Va. about 5 miles from my house. View attachment 76221 View attachment 76222
holy crap! Those look like the granddaddies of all boxwood. Never saw any like that before.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
holy crap! Those look like the granddaddies of all boxwood. Never saw any like that before.

These are English Boxwood at the farm. They are over 50 years old and last I looked the biggest base was 12 - 14 inches per trunk. They are all multi-trunk. Nothing compared to those in VA but hey in another 200 years they have potential :eek:

Attachments

• GEDC1334.JPG
    GEDC1334.JPG
    575.7 KB · Views: 85
  • GEDC1339.JPG
    GEDC1339.JPG
    487 KB · Views: 83

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You need to do some root work and repot.

If you have some bundled thermostat wire, you can pull the singles out and use them sheathed. Good for the tender shoots. I'd be surprised if you don't have some coiled up by your furnace, that you can cut a length out of. (and rewire of course)

I don't see spending $ on it. Dudes leave 3-4 ft sections of this all the time.

I keep all the smooth black (tie toy to box wires) that I find too, that are great for this stuff.

Now forget all that and reduce the roots.!

Sorce

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Now forget all that and reduce the roots.!

Ha! It was in a 2.9 Quart Nursery container and a 20 inch or so ball of dense foliage. When I took it back to the size it is now I took at least 80 percent of the root off to get it in the training pot on the 13th :eek: I am going to take another pot same size and drill 1/8 inch holes around the rim and instead of wire I will slip it into the drilled pot and tie all the branches down that I want to using Raffia. For movement I will need very little wire at that point. At least that is my new plan - we will see how it goes this weekend.

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't see spending $ on it.

I went with Raffia, drilled the training pot with the plant still in it. The whole process cost me a total of 35 minutes time :rolleyes:

Grimmy

Attachments

• GEDC1534.JPG
    GEDC1534.JPG
    295 KB · Views: 61
  • GEDC1537.JPG
    GEDC1537.JPG
    323.7 KB · Views: 62
  • GEDC1538.JPG
    GEDC1538.JPG
    324.2 KB · Views: 60
Top Bottom