Dwarf Honeysuckle progression - Lonicera Nitida

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
First thread! :p

- 2012 -

IMG_9885-25_zpsb3ce3d56.jpg

I dug this MANY years ago from my Gran's garden, and was going to air layer off all the branches but never got round to it. I decided to get a move on and treated the 1.5" offcuts as giant cuttings, most of which have rooted (in a bucket of water).

IMG_9876-25_zps312fee3f.jpg

IMG_9912-25_zps49ce6705.jpg

There were recently really odd thin roots tracking through and ruining the bark, so I wanted to stop that and find out when was going on. What I found was that the original heavy roots are all dead ( ?!! ) and the roots growing through the bark are the ONLY roots now! Not what I had in mind, I hope they all fuse into one surface again and don't end up looking like a ficus/mangrove effect.

IMG_9881-25_zpsb3ac3881.jpg

I'm not sure when the main roots died, but I suspect it's my fault as the tree has been in compost, and it got really really boggy in winter. :-/

- 2014 -

Last week I moved it into a bonasi pot in turface / cat litter, and today I roughly pruned it back so I can start to work out a plan. I'm actually pondering cut-and-grow, these grow so fast I might be able to cope with any extra time over wiring - plus it should look more natural.

IMG_2630-25_zps18dfe165.jpg

IMG_2631-25_zpseb5cf092.jpg

After a prune, all bases of the branches left in place to keep my options open.

IMG_2636-25_zpsacf6f004.jpg

Last edited:

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
I’ll have to get the camera out! :) Pretty sure it’s L Pileata not L Nitida in fact..

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
GOSH! I keep running across awesome European Lonicera specimens that make me strongly dislike their North American counter-parts.
Nice Honeysuckle... making my varieties feel sub-par!

🤣🤣

Top Bottom