Eastern red cedar (Juniperus Virginiana) yamadori styling

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Working on this guy at 48 yrs since dug... need to pull the branches down a bit and shorten them here and there.

Planning on a report to shallower pot and clean/ strip the bark and do a bit of lime sulpher...
this tree produces both immature and mature foliage. At times over the years it has been in full adult softer foliage. However it have done considerable work over the years and maybe at some point it produce more adult foilage. No biggie...

Just a simple field dug & topped and turned up and turned up etc (earlier thread had detail) when I didn’t know anything , and know less now ! Hah!

haven’t seen any rust in a decade or more...Ferbam keeps it in check.
110cm from lip of pot to terminal
Hello sir!
This is easily one of the best ERC bonsai I've ever seen.
Do you have more detailed pictures?
I'd love to see some close ups of the branching and foliage.
Thanks!

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
This morning here in Merced, CA Potted to a better proportion. Been waiting to do this for some time...hah!
Probably going to tighten down the bottom 1/3 of the branches and possibly shorten them.

Attachments

• IMG_9102_edited.jpg
    IMG_9102_edited.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9030_edited.jpg
    IMG_9030_edited.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 42

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I am considering shortening the branches to the third view (photo-shopped)....giving the tree at 45" [118cm] a better presence. The photos are at a distance of about 15' from the tree as the iphon lens would include the overhang of the house if it was closer. And at a closer range the image is distorted. The tree in the round also shows the branching as it nicely spirals up the tapering trunk(not visible in these photos). The tree now has quite a bit of shari which could be brightened a tad. Also the bark is covered in calcium and mineral deposits such to need a good scrubbing and a tad bit of color added back to bring it to life. This photo was taken late evening and it would show much better in an early morning side light with sharp contrasting shadow. New pot shows the width of the nebari better and gives a better presence.

IMG_9184_edited copya.jpgIMG_9184_edited copy2.jpg

IMG_9184_edited copy3.jpg

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The foliage on this tree is now nearly all adult and very tight seems that the previous removal of old (2-3yr) immature foliage helped give this old boy a better day!

Attachments

• 41839EC2-03FC-4F59-A3E3-809F548D09BF.jpeg
    41839EC2-03FC-4F59-A3E3-809F548D09BF.jpeg
    283.4 KB · Views: 26
Top Bottom