Eastern Redbud Cercis Canadensis

TrunkTickler

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I didn’t know about the life span. I did notice large leaf size. Something has been eating my leaves. If it dies I’m still learning from it. This is the first year in a pot.
Did you trunk chop this in spring?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I planted one in my yard a few years ago and now they are everywhere. The seeds are numerous and apparently have a high germination rate. We have to keep chopping them down to keep them from taking over the yard. Maybe I’ll chop one back this spring and see what develops. However the 50-70 year lifespan seems to be the maximum with 10-20 years being more common. Canker and verticillium wilt seems to be the main causes of death.

Corrado

Mame
Reaction score
if your ever over by the Coors company building in Golden ,Colorado down the block on the main road is a magnificent specimen I think called the Judas Tree. It was blazing in lavender color when I spotted it. So I walked a few blocks down to see what it could be! WOW. it had a gnarly 2 foot thick trunk and growing out of red clay dirt! It was fairly large and well branched .I had it timed right . But this was at least 37 years ago

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Has anyone successfully air layered one? I have two on my property (in the ground). One that is 12’ and offers a few nice air layer possibilities. A second one that we collected and moved from near the large one. I collected a third (now in a pot) by the mother, it stayed dormant all growing season, hoping it opens up this spring.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dug this one in 2021 and a large root had gotten away from the shallow basket it was planted in. When cut a significant part of the trunk died but the tree survived and grew well. I dug again this year and put into a training pot to contain the roots and cut back again. This is the reason to grow one:) Early spring smiles always and tells me to get out into the woods and hunt Morel mushrooms.
1650041178401.jpeg

Trunk cut back and sealed but we'll see how/if it heals.
1650041252044.jpeg

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This summer I eliminated several of the trunks/branches which made it look like a harp. Reading @BonsaiRae s post made me think about this one. Time for an update.
My leaves have been maintained at 2" or less w/now special effort in this training pot. The other one in the ground has a few 6" pancake looking leaves despite being cut back a couple times this year. I'll have to dig it in spring to make sure roots aren't out of hand again. That seems to be the challenge w/these. The taproot is a challenge above all others w/these trees IMO. The one in the ground will be going in a basket in spring.
1662564719153.jpeg
1662564747700.jpeg
1662564793693.jpeg

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Has anyone successfully air layered one? I have two on my property (in the ground). One that is 12’ and offers a few nice air layer possibilities. A second one that we collected and moved from near the large one. I collected a third (now in a pot) by the mother, it stayed dormant all growing season, hoping it opens up this spring.
A pro and the local tree expert and the internet research I did all say they cannot be air layered or propagated by cuttings. My experience seems to corroborate that.

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A pro and the local tree expert and the internet research I did all say they cannot be air layered or propagated by cuttings. My experience seems to corroborate that.
I got one to root this year. It was losing leaves so I separated 2 weeks ago. It threw the rest of the leaves after separation. Now I’m waiting to see if it pulls through with some new growth.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got one to root this year. It was losing leaves so I separated 2 weeks ago. It threw the rest of the leaves after separation. Now I’m waiting to see if it pulls through with some new growth.
Wondering about yours? I guess spring will tell the story tho.

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So far so good. Feb and March can be tougher though 🥺

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wakey wakey 🌅
Morel mushrooms should be popping:) everything is waking up suddenly. We have 70-80s forecast next week.IMG_20230407_122444462_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230407_122459518_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230407_122459518_HDR.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20230407_122507636_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230407_122507636_HDR.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 13
Top Bottom