Ebihara maples

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting how he intentionally crossed roots near the trunk on the lower left. Artistic vision or simply moving roots where they are needed knowing the crossed part will eventually be engulfed and disappear?View attachment 129899

And this shot shows the advantage of the really flat roots well. Roots a long ways away from the trunk can be exposed when they're thick enough. Couldn't do that if they keep descending even if they are looking good.View attachment 129900

I noticed the crossing as well. I wonder if that creates some subtle undulations which give a more natural look.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Interesting how he intentionally crossed roots near the trunk on the lower left. Artistic vision or simply moving roots where they are needed knowing the crossed part will eventually be engulfed and disappear?View attachment 129899

And this shot shows the advantage of the really flat roots well. Roots a long ways away from the trunk can be exposed when they're thick enough. Couldn't do that if they keep descending even if they are looking good.View attachment 129900

I noticed the crossing as well. I wonder if that creates some subtle undulations which give a more natural look.

I can only guess that he plans eventually to remove these because I don't see any evidence of crossing roots in the more developed tree. He was more forgiving than I with roots coming from different levels though. Very educational to see details of his work.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Very educational to see what Ebihara-San did next on this tree. He did not stop with the root work - he appears to have spent several days on this tree. The lesson is to start with a good trunk with movement and taper. With skill and careful work, everything else can be done quickly.

After he completed his root work, he started grafting and removing the large escape branches that he had used to build the trunk. Let's see how he approached this work. First let's look at how he removed the big branches that were not part of the final design. He did not remove them all at once. Here's the tree after repotting:
D3861C1A-B4D8-4F7F-ACBA-418DA87A7C48.JPG

Note his planned trunk line and the large branches that have to be removed:
IMG_5387.PNG

Let's see what his approach was on these two branches.

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
First, the larger of the two branches:
D9CCA51B-09AB-4014-9652-1C582577A06B.JPG

He cut a large notch out of the branch, but left just enough of the branch to keep the stub he left alive. The wound itself he carved into a slightly convex shape so that the callous would follow the trunk line as healed over. I speculate that he is using growth from the stub to help heal over the wound before it's finally removed.

His approach with the other branch was different:
DA4D370A-FFCF-43F2-A972-7ACD7F65905D.JPG

On this branch, he scraped away the bark and cambium, but left a stub attached. I assume this is left for the same reason - to promote healing of the wound. Why was his approach different? I don't know - it may be as simple as Ebihara trying to demonstrate different techniques for kinbon. But its an interesting approach that I've not seen used very often. Is it effective? Again, I don't know, but if Ebihara is doing it, it's probably worth a try.

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Then the grafting. He performed a number of grafts on this tree. In fact, I think more or less every branch he planned on keeping was grafted. First he prepped the seedlings:
4DE06F97-131F-4789-B70E-566EDF44353E.JPG

Look how he grew them out. The trunks are all coming out of the side of the pot! Everything is done for a reason.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Then he insterted the wrapped seedling branches through the hole and removed the parafilm.
610D0B9D-3AD1-45AB-8486-10294F29CFA0.JPG 610D0B9D-3AD1-45AB-8486-10294F29CFA0.JPG 1B92E2A6-29DA-4C69-A0C4-E263B60284AA.JPG

Now it makes sense why the seedlings were trained to come out of the side of the pot. Makes it easier to position the grafts where you want them! This is a big difference between what I see in Japanese bonsai and that practiced elsewhere - attention to detail. I'm contantly relearning this lesson in my own back yard.

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
He cleaned the wound and scraped the bark from the BOTTOM of the seedling where it exited the hole.
1B92E2A6-29DA-4C69-A0C4-E263B60284AA.JPG

And then forced the seedling against the bottom of the hole using chopstick wedges.
610D0B9D-3AD1-45AB-8486-10294F29CFA0.JPG

He covered it all with cut paste and wired the new branch.
610D0B9D-3AD1-45AB-8486-10294F29CFA0.JPG

All done with that branch.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
He repeated this, grafting six new branches into place.
5B5B42A2-2E80-43DA-AA2E-3D5DEDB8144C.JPG

Note that he had scraped the bark and cambium off the first branch, but had only cut back the larger sacrifice. That notch was cut out the following year.

Over the growing season, he let the branches he wanted to thicken extend long sacrifice shoots.
46A98D17-D701-4B33-8336-2EC14034505D.JPG

The grafts had fused sufficiently to remove them safely by late summer of that same year.
46A98D17-D701-4B33-8336-2EC14034505D.JPG

Note also that he had allowed a branch near the apex to grow very long to try and correct some taper issues at the top of the tree.. But he cut back everything else in the late summer/early fall. It's starting to look like a tree!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here's the final picture. If I read it correctly, this was taken one year after the original root work was done.
4B97894E-E1C2-48A5-BEB8-F90B459BB1A2.JPG

What do you think? Not too bad for a year's work. Note that he left that apical sacrifice on - clearly wanted more thickening there.

Last edited:

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am amazed he got that much growth and work to happen in a single year especially in a pot and not the ground or a deeper box. Do you know if his grafts were originally taken from the same tree to ensure genetic similarity? Also, it looks like there are two major trunk chops to get the main body of the tree. Is that correct?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I am amazed he got that much growth and work to happen in a single year especially in a pot and not the ground or a deeper box. Do you know if his grafts were originally taken from the same tree to ensure genetic similarity? Also, it looks like there are two major trunk chops to get the main body of the tree. Is that correct?

From what I understand, Mr. Ebihara did not grow any of his Japanese maples in the ground. All were developed in grow boxes from seedling on - including during trunk development! He grew them in full sun.

The article does not talk about the trunk development stage, but I can see at least two major chops. There may have been more.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here's the final picture. If I read it correctly, this was taken one year after the original root work was done.
View attachment 129932

What do you think? Not too bad for a year's work.
Great commentary, Scott!

At dinner last night, Pete Parker asked me why I put up with the flames I sometimes get on this forum. And I replied that I like to teach, and help people do better bonsai. And I mentioned that you do, too.

And Pete said that you are one of the best teachers he's ever known, and you seem to have a passion for it!

I agree!

By the way, it appears that the pine and shimpaku grafts did not take on your olive. So, what would you like to try next? Atlas Cedar? Winterberry? Trident? (No, trident is too easy...). Ah ha! Wisteria!! Oh, wait... you already have that from the swimming pool... maybe we should let people here vote! (Only one vote per person. Else our new President might launch an investigation into BonsaiNut!)

Lol!!! Now I've done it!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Great commentary, Scott!

At dinner last night, Pete Parker asked me why I put up with the flames I sometimes get on this forum. And I replied that I like to teach, and help people do better bonsai. And I mentioned that you do, too.

And Pete said that you are one of the best teachers he's ever known, and you seem to have a passion for it!

I agree!

By the way, it appears that the pine and shimpaku grafts did not take on your olive. So, what would you like to try next? Atlas Cedar? Winterberry? Trident? (No, trident is too easy...). Ah ha! Wisteria!! Oh, wait... you already have that from the swimming pool... maybe we should let people here vote! (Only one vote per person. Else our new President might launch an investigation into BonsaiNut!)

Lol!!! Now I've done it!

How about Zelkova? I saw a beautiful little broom on the bench. Just cut it off right above the roots and stick it on to the olive. I'm sure it will take!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Great commentary, Scott!

I agree!

Lol!!! Now I've done it!

And I do love to teach. I only do bonsai because it's so attractive to all of the women!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
From what I understand, Mr. Ebihara did not grow any of his Japanese maples in the ground. All were developed in grow boxes from seedling on - including during trunk development! He grew them in full sun.

The article does not talk about the trunk development stage, but I can see at least two major chops. There may have been more.
Japanese Maples are vulnerable to a disease that can be passed through the soil. Especially if tomatos are grown nearby. So, it's safer to grow them in containers.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Japanese Maples are vulnerable to a disease that can be passed through the soil. Especially if tomatos are grown nearby. So, it's safer to grow them in containers.

Boon said the same thing regarding disease when he visited our club. Japanese in boxes and tridents in the ground was the takeaway I got.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
View attachment 129932

What do you think? Not too bad for a year's work. Note that he left that apical sacrifice on - clearly wanted more thickening there.
Didn't like that one, Scott? How about this one?

IMG_0076.JPG

This tree is from a cutting. About 40 years ago. Never root grafted. Kotohime.

Top Bottom