Ebihara maples

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
I have officially hired a professional translator and bonsai professional in Japan to translate the 11-page Kinbon article (May 2001). I am surprised that this had not been done yet.

I mentioned this another thread (https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/ebihara-nebari-musings.47464/page-2#post-816017) but thought that I should also share this here as well so that nobody else spends time/money on the same project.

I am looking into publication permissions and publication outlets (I don't have either at the moment!). At the very least, I'll summarize the article here in my own words.

Latest update:

Bonsai Focus owns the "exclusive worldwide copyrights of Kinbon magazine", as they put it.

In order for me to be allowed to share this article, they are asking for €150 per page. This would only give me permission to casually share the article. They explicitly noted that this would not give me permission to have the article published elsewhere. They have no interest in publishing the article themselves (I offered the translation to them).

It's hard to gauge how much interest there really is in this article. One idea that came to mind is starting something like a GoFundMe campaign where anybody who donates $X will be a sent a copy of the PDF if we meet the funding objective. Of course, once the article is released in the wild it can be freely shared among friends and colleagues, so it's hard to say how many people would be willing to throw 10, 15, or 20 bucks at this to help raise the funds to gain this permission.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
In order for me to be allowed to share this article, they are asking for €150 per page

Yeah... There was a short-lived bonsai magazine in France that couldn't survive because 25% of the articles were translated from Japanese magazines. The cost of copyright was too heavy compared to the distribution of the magazine in France.

Agriff

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I've had an incredible time reading through this thread, as someone who just started bonsai this spring! How's the tree coming with the spring flush, @markyscott ?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Glad you found it helpful. The tree is growing strong. I’m letting it grow out again this year. I’m on a Red Cross disaster response right now, but I’ll post a picture when I get back to Houston.

PhilSavalle

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Wow...what an awesome thread. Took a couple days to read through it all but as a beginner there is a ton of invaluable info here. I cant wait to try this on my baby trees in the next couple years once they grow large enough!

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
SO ANY EXAMPLES OF THIS METHOD ON MINI OR SMALL TYPE TREES?

I’ve just planted 72 sprouting Trident maples In my grow room.
At the moment ,with the fast growth my co2 fertilized growing environment can achieve,I plant on just chopping back the whips regularly to the base/ground and watching re-sprout and then letting all the new leaders run again( w/tridents hopefully 6 of them..or is it 4)?
Anyways I read this in Bonsai Focus years ago.

They made some nice clumps in 5 yrs time as the base got wider and flatter.I can get 2-3 seasons growth in one grow with my settup.

Cannot find a single picture online.
Possibly get creative and and build from this technique….like sawed of stonewool blocks on plastic sheeting or something,so all roots go out and then air-prune out the sides.
Of course after air-layering when a few mnth old too.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Priceless thread. Took a couple days to get through but holy cow, so much good info. Many thanks to Scott and Adair and all the others who contributed. I’ll be starting an Amur pre-bonsai with all of this knowledge and valuable reported experience in hand.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
SO ANY EXAMPLES OF THIS METHOD ON MINI OR SMALL TYPE TREES?

I’ve just planted 72 sprouting Trident maples In my grow room.
At the moment ,with the fast growth my co2 fertilized growing environment can achieve,I plant on just chopping back the whips regularly to the base/ground and watching re-sprout and then letting all the new leaders run again( w/tridents hopefully 6 of them..or is it 4)?
Anyways I read this in Bonsai Focus years ago.

They made some nice clumps in 5 yrs time as the base got wider and flatter.I can get 2-3 seasons growth in one grow with my settup.

Cannot find a single picture online.
Possibly get creative and and build from this technique….like sawed of stonewool blocks on plastic sheeting or something,so all roots go out and then air-prune out the sides.
Of course after air-layering when a few mnth old too.
Happy Friday!

Did not see your post until today @cmeg1 . We’ve been experimenting on working roots with little guys for the past couple years, working on the nebari first, Here’s the thread

Good luck!
DSD sends

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
We have land in Delaplane and are renting a cottage in White Post while we build. See the thread “Nova Bonsai Garden” to keep updated on the progress. Stay in touch !

Where are you located?

scott

Last edited:

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We have land in Delaplane and are renting a cottage in White Post while we build. See the thread “Nova Bonsai Garden” to keep updated on the progress. Stay in touch !

Where are you located?

scott

I'm about 30 miles west of richmond in Goochland County.

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the thread time for a repot this year?

Top Bottom