Elm Wintering

Duhend

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Well I suppose I should update. I've kept the Elm inside for the winter with all your suggestions. It did drop leaves constantly and looked kinda sad, but late February it pushed a ton of new leaves. Winter here has finally decided to leave, course in Kansas we tend to go week to week, but it is now happily living outside with my new Azalea project along with my junpier that I was going to make a cascade until the guy mowing the lawn at my apartment complex decided to hit it with the weed whacker.

I do still bring it in when the low temps hit below 40F so hopefully I can get a few update pics up. Its not as developed as it was but its coming along.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Whacker blues

I was going to make a cascade until the guy mowing the lawn at my apartment complex decided to hit it with the weed whacker.

I tracked back in the posting and saw you were living at an apartment. I was wondering how long it would take for a lawn care person to discover the tree with a handy tool. You might consider a raised side (like a wooden box)...perhaps at least 2 x 12 x whatever overall size you think appropriate. You could also place your tree, while it the container it is right now, in a larger plastic squat pot. This might discourage the whacker, cats, dogs and whatever else migh dig it up or knock it over. Your best bet would be to consider a simulated a raised garden on a patio area so the tree is seen as yours.

Duhend

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I usually keep them on a raised retaining wall by my door. It has just been windy these last few days so I set them in the grass at the top of the wall to prevent them blowing over. I have been toying with building a box/stand that would be big enough to sit them a top of it and flip over and hold them in it for moving them, or for windy days. I figured I could try making it big enough to attempt to mulch them in as well. I suppose said box would have protected them as well today.

Top Bottom