Excellent penjing book

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A few threads have explored some older bonsai books. I think this one is worth mentioning. "The Chinese Art of Bonsai and Potted Landscapes" by Yinchun Shen and Beulah Kwok Sung. It's probably the best penjing book I have. Published in 1991, I got my copy at Kinokiniya book store in Japan Town in San Francisco in the mid 90's sometime. I took a look through it recently and remembered it has pretty extensive photos of pots, unnusual plantings and spectacular penjing. It also has interesting explanations of Chinese styles, including accents and other stuff. You can still find it for about $30 (I got ripped off, since it was new when I got it. I paid $50 from what the price sticker still stuck on the inside jacket says.)

Only a few of the color plates from inside:

Attachments

• penjing1.jpg
    penjing1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 34
  • penjing2.jpg
    penjing2.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 34
  • penjing3.jpg
    penjing3.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 31
  • penjing4.jpg
    penjing4.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 32

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'll have to look into this one.
I've got a whole stack of books I'm supposed to be working on, but more active pursuits keep distracting me.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is better than the penjing book with the green cover posted earlier. Entire section on stands, various Chinese pot kilns, and regional origins and traits of those pots. Classification of styles, from Yunian (Floating Cloud) to lignan, longyou and "contemporary realistic" styles. Twig breaking, tying and upside down growing techniques. Worth the $$. had forgotten how good it was until I picked it up again after it was in a cabinet for a decade or so.

Attachments

• penjingstands.jpg
    penjingstands.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 16
  • penjingpots.jpg
    penjingpots.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 17

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hell, the price is worth the banana bonsai alone 😁

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's above in the pic with the moon and figurine

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Banana bonsai aren't really bonsai. Good examples require the grower to peel down the leaf layers on the trunk to expose the smaller leaves inside the bundle, or so I'm told. There are a few videos out on the 'net of really bad examples. That photo is the best example I've ever seen of one.

Top Bottom