Expert Suggestion For My Cascade Bonsai

iskhan

Seedling
Reaction score
Dear experts

I am trying to make my 1st Cascade bonsai of Syzygium cumini unfortunately I don't have digital camera but I create an illustration with labels of my bonsais which is 90% similar to original one.

Please suggest me how to improve my Cascade bonsai?

Thanks
Lcascad.jpg

Rcascad.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You can improve your responses, which may or may not improve your bonsai, by finding a way to photograph the tree. You cannot fault this forum for a lack of response or a response that seems meaningless.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The simplest answer is to wire the trees, and put motion into the cascade section. As in side to side, and in the verticle direction as well. Wire out the secondary branches as well. Many people don't wire, and it makes such a difference.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
At this point it should be obvious to the original poster that making sense of this post is near impossible with out some sort of visual input. So unless the OP is a troll, which I doubt at this time, he/she is going to have to get a photo posted or this is going no where productive.

Last edited:

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Redraw it til you like it and then do that to the tree.

Reaction score
Redraw it til you like it and then do that to the tree.

I like this... I am gonna draw a pic of one of my plants
Just 300 years older !!!

Sadly, I don't think i will be around to make it happen,
Though...

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hi. New to this forum. Figure I should enter trying to help somebody else out. I know the favor will be returned many times on this forum.

I guess I'll try to give you advice since nobody else wants to. I don't get why the others believe you should get so much flak just for not having a camera to take a picture with...

Okay. So.

You've got the one main trunk, yes, and some branches coming off of it. I'm relatively new to bonsai too and starting a cascade as well. So I'll tell you everything I've observed and practiced so far. You've got a tree that is literally just "growing down" like a vine falling off an edge. Your tree has no canopy Do you understand what I mean?

Even on cascades you will see a triangular canopy even though the leader is moving down instead of up. This makes sense because that is the best, and really only, way for a tree to ensure it gets light to all branches and foliage from top to bottom. If there was a greater horizontal of foliage on top of the tree than on the lower layers of the tree, the lower portion would be shaded out and eventually die.

Even though your tree's canopy will be sparse right now you still need some place to start and you need to ensure that with time you will have a believable canopy.

I'm not familiar with the plant that you're using but I hope it will back bud so that the spots closer to the trunk will send out branches for you to get that canopy from. It is essential to the believability of the final tree.

I imagine that you can use wiring to some degree to get branches where they need to be to start building that canopy.

In all bonsai, and this cascade included, you must make every choice in what you are doing with the future in mind. You need to leave what is necessary later on, as well as things that may be necessary in case your first plan doesn't work. You can't always just choose how a tree is grown. Sometimes the plant rejects the plan and kills your most vital branch. You need to always have a plan B and plan C and maybe plan D.

A tree is not grown in one day. Or one season. No matter how you prune or wire the plant. It all takes patience and imagination as well as an understanding of what really creates the image of the bonsai. If you need more of an idea what I mean about the canopy, simply look on google and notice that all the trees have green growth from top to bottom in the form of a pyramid. Make sure your tree will be able to send out branches to help create that.

The way you can learn how to make a bonsai is, most importantly, to look at bonsai. And look at trees in nature. Observe the trees and ask yourself why they are the way they are. The most wonderful thing about nature is that everything happens for a reason. Because they have to happen that way and couldn't happen any other way. Nature has rules. It makes the game easier.

And most importantly, develop patience and enjoy nature everywhere it presents wonders.

It's kind of like going to the doctor and telling him that you don't feel well but you can't tell him how you don't feel well.

Mr. Howard: In my earlier days on the net I was quick to ask people who come off in a condescending manner ( just like you have) to post some pictures of their own trees if they know how much better to grow them then I, but few responded.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
What happened to the original poster? He/she never came back to the thread after posting the question. Not sure this thread should extend any further until the op posts a reply.

Rob

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Mr Wood: I was only trying to give information to the original poster that wasn't written here already. I figured Iskhan could comb through anything written up here, but he/she could not do that with anything that wasn't written. If you would like to discredit anything I wrote, I would appreciate it as much as anybody else would. I did add in the post that I was relatively new to bonsai, so I did offer the opportunity to discredit anything I said. I wouldn't ever pretend to be more impressive than I truly am.

But I have come here looking for information myself and seeing a post to connect with, I gave my input. I must say that I had good intentions. If there was anything in what I wrote that helped Iskhan, I would be happy. If not, I would be glad to hear how I am wrong so that I can learn more myself.

Perhaps the language I used had a facade that seemed self entitled, but truly I was just excited to converse about bonsai. I was enjoying vocalizing things that I felt were helping me understand creating bonsai as well.

I hope this in any way vindicates me. I don't mean to give myself any entitlement. I am learning much myself. I am just greatly interested in the art of bonsai. I came to the forum to learn from knowledgeable and experienced practitioners such as you. I have looked through your posts because I have seen that you are full of information to share, and I appreciate the input that you share. I was just hoping to help Iskhan. I know it's frustrating to feel helpless especially when I reach out to somebody and anticipate help. I hope there will be a more clear impression of my intentions in the future.

Take care.

Actually what vindicates everybody is the fact that the OP is most likely a Troll.

Top Bottom