exposed root Crape Myrtle

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm a little late finishing up my wiring this year, especially as the winter may end earlier than normal. But the Crape's don't pop leaves till late so I do them last anyway. This is my exposed root. It'll get a new pot when it's time, much shallower, and glazed. I'll also lower the tree about an inch into the soil, it's just a touch too high I think.
enjoy...

Attachments

• IMG_1805.jpg
    IMG_1805.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1806.jpg
    IMG_1806.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 173

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You've been busy eh Judy? Everything is looking really nice, thanks for posting.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Update in it's new pot. I simplified the roots, and planted it a bit lower. Works better with less confusion. Will be working on branch structure this year, and will probably cut the too heavy left apex branch back some.
Got a ways to go....

Attachments

• IMG_1917.jpg
    IMG_1917.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 137

Randy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The change in the roots look much more pleasing to the eye. I really like that blue as well!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
another year along

Here is the tree now, after repotting and a snip job.
I lowered it again, JKL once told me that I'd be happier with it that way, and of course he was right. This may be the spot it stays in, I still think it's a quirky thing, but it's the interest of the tree. Branching is coming along..

Oh, and this one was the one that had that wilt problem last year, (probably got dry), but the roots were solid and healthy today when I repotted, so no permanent damage.

Attachments

• IMG_2506.jpg
    IMG_2506.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2504.jpg
    IMG_2504.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 105

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Nice. Looks like a Spooky Old Tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Looking good! Lots of character in that little tree. I'm glad you decided to expose the roots.

Have you considered repotting it in a circular or oval pot? I wonder how it would look it planted it at the left edge of the pot.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looking good! Lots of character in that little tree. I'm glad you decided to expose the roots.

Have you considered repotting it in a circular or oval pot? I wonder how it would look it planted it at the left edge of the pot.

Actually it's been a 3 year process lowering this one... It's roots were even more exposed than you see them now. But it just looked sloppy, and awkward. I can't plant at the left edge, as the majority of the roots trail to that side. But it's an interesting idea. I may look for another slightly deeper pot at some point for this tree, it did dry out last year once. I think it may be the kind of pot/glaze that makes it dry out faster. I do like this color and shape though...

@catfish, yes, it does, especially when they first start to open, as they're red tipped chartruse green. I'll post when it does that for you.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Fall color on this tree is so funny, it always turns from inside out, new growth way later than older growth. But brilliant yellow against green is nice.
enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_3812.jpg
    IMG_3812.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3813.jpg
    IMG_3813.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 68

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
The solution to that, of course, is to not let the tree stay so bushy late in the summer. If you allow it to bloom, cut back right afterward. I seldom allow my little ones to bloom, so they're cut back all summer long.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I used to cut this back after blooming, but I've decided I need to let it run for a few seasons, to develop it more fully. I'll be doing some selections this winter, and will let it run again next year. Primary branching is about a season away from where I'd like it to be.
Thanks, I'm sure that once I do prune more often during the growing season, that will solve the differences.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I used to cut this back after blooming, but I've decided I need to let it run for a few seasons, to develop it more fully. I'll be doing some selections this winter, and will let it run again next year. Primary branching is about a season away from where I'd like it to be.

You will get it more quickly if you prune regularly -- AND you will have to do less wiring.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Even if thickness in the primary branching is what I'm after?

Yup. Thickness doesn't come with the length -- especially with crape myrtles. It comes after the creation of side branches. The branch always gets a bit thicker with each branch crated. You get more branches with pruning. You get longer internodes and fewer branches with lengthening.

Long branches with crape myrtle seem especially likely to have branch tip dieback, too.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Interesting tip, thank you - I'll adjust my technique with CM's.

Top Bottom