Fantastic Fungi

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Ah, I have a fond affection for the ones that stain blue.

I`m a fan of Paul Stement's work, and am glad to see he is getting better recognition. They others involved bring their own credibility too. (and tone down Stament's most outrageous pronouncements, love him, but he does take his thoughts to the fringes, though the core ideas are very sound).

I cringe when Staments talks about fungal intelligence, but if you substitute, chemical and electrochemical signal transmission for the word intelligence, he is on target.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fungi progression.
IMAG0215-1.jpg
IMAG0257-1.jpg

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool, have you got an ID on those?

No...but they were on an Island in the middle of the Fox River.
I lost a bag of lures the first week, and found it the second!
And.....almost got chased into the water by nesting geese! Canadian Geese!

Sorce

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wireme, those are morels. They pop for about a month a year in the spring. GOOD EATING! I lose a month of my life every spring being obsessed w/hunting them. Scout for trees then too:)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morchella
2014-05-08_15-46-05_381.jpg

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wireme, those are morels. They pop for about a month a year in the spring. GOOD EATING! I lose a month of my life every spring being obsessed w/hunting them. Scout for trees then too:)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morchella
View attachment 94510

Oh yeah I know those babies, we eat them once or twice a week almost.
This is what's left of last years haul, we had two rubber maids brimming full at one point.
Burn morels picked after fires, I've picked 100lbs per day a few times!image.jpg

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No...but they were on an Island in the middle of the Fox River.
I lost a bag of lures the first week, and found it the second!
And.....almost got chased into the water by nesting geese! Canadian Geese!

Sorce

I have also been chased by geese before, it's hilarious but I really wouldn't want to tangle with one of those feathery bastards.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I love morels, sadly, I have a hard time finding them. I'm in too urban a location, though now that I have a place in Michigan that is private property and not well known by neighbors, I hope to have better luck this year. "When the leaves on the oaks are as big as a mouse's ear" is a good time to begin looking for morels. I tend to start looking early and have been lucky occasionally even a couple weeks late.

No finer eating mushroom in my opinion, and morels have few look alikes, and the few look alikes are not lethal look alikes. They might not taste good, might even cause stomach upset, but aren't likely to kill. Different story when hunting the parasol mushrooms, there the "look alike" is a "one bite will kill you" problem. I stopped hunting parasols, when I discovered a patch that was not clearly one, or the other. Decided they could wait until I had the time to get more training on identifying mushrooms.

Morels, puff balls, oyster mushrooms, lion's mane are the only ones I'm comfortable collecting these days, and only in woods where I am familiar with local "ecotypes".

Mushroom hunting is easily a hobby I could put serious time into if I didn't have so damn many other things going on to eat up my time.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love morels, sadly, I have a hard time finding them. I'm in too urban a location, though now that I have a place in Michigan that is private property and not well known by neighbors, I hope to have better luck this year. "When the leaves on the oaks are as big as a mouse's ear" is a good time to begin looking for morels. I tend to start looking early and have been lucky occasionally even a couple weeks late.

No finer eating mushroom in my opinion, and morels have few look alikes, and the few look alikes are not lethal look alikes. They might not taste good, might even cause stomach upset, but aren't likely to kill. Different story when hunting the parasol mushrooms, there the "look alike" is a "one bite will kill you" problem. I stopped hunting parasols, when I discovered a patch that was not clearly one, or the other. Decided they could wait until I had the time to get more training on identifying mushrooms.

Morels, puff balls, oyster mushrooms, lion's mane are the only ones I'm comfortable collecting these days, and only in woods where I am familiar with local "ecotypes".

Mushroom hunting is easily a hobby I could put serious time into if I didn't have so damn many other things going on to eat up my time.

Yes, I've found that mushroom hunting is a good time. I've been putting more effort into identification lately, added about 6 new types I'm comfortable collecting and eating during last summer.

Really have to be very cautious, I was trying to figure out a cortinarius of some type last year. It turned out there is a very similar one that can kill you 3 weeks after ingestion!! By the time symptoms show up the damage is done.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Leo, you keep feeding me all this good info and I'll ship you out a batch of Morels:)View attachment 94678

Damn, that is one monster morel. Definite would love gettinga care package of morels. Sure I'll keep ''giving info'', have been busy the last week or so. Maybe I'll catch up later this week.

Escopeton

Seed
Reaction score
A nice chanterelle from our local woods.

10400939_37471267696_3314_n.jpg

Top Bottom