Fantastic juniper bonsai from the recent Taiwan BCI shows

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
These junipers were displayed in the Wanjing Art Garden, one of the BCI Asia-Pacific Bonsai and Viewing Stones Exhibitions venues. I have never seen so many high quality juniper bonsai in one place, I think there were at least 50 of them. Enjoy the photos and more junipers in the blog.

https://bonsaipenjing.wordpress.com...urney-3-juniper-bonsai-at-the-wanjing-garden/

IMG_4398.JPG IMG_4351.JPGIMG_4354.JPG IMG_4373.JPG IMG_4384.JPG IMG_4514-001.JPG IMG_4409.JPG IMG_4510.JPG IMG_4537.JPG

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice. Thank you for sharing. I find it refreshing that these trees lack the overwrought pad refinement common in Japanese trees today. These look more "real" in my opinion.

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Great trees and great photos. Thanks for sharing Chuah.

If anyone has not opened their mind to bonsai from other countries you are seriously missing out. I have seen pictures of Hon Non Bo, Penjing, and Banyan that are quite fantastic.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not only are the trees high quality but your pictures are very well done.

Thanks for sharing!

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That 4th picture is just stunning! Absolutely beautiful.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are these shimpakus or a type of juniper local to Taiwan? I also thought I read somewhere that many of these were field grown, which is incredible if that's the case. Their growth rates must be much faster than for other types of junipers, climates, etc.

There are a lot of great trees from Taiwan besides junipers - the work the folks there have done with boxwoods and local species is amazing.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
It is amazing to see what the taiwanese can produce with field grown materials.

Truly impressive, and inspiring to a young artist as myself.

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Very nice. Thank you for sharing. I find it refreshing that these trees lack the overwrought pad refinement common in Japanese trees today. These look more "real" in my opinion.
The Taiwan juniper bonsai are quite unique in the sense that they use all the advance Japanese techniques to create the bonsai but retain certain aspects of Chinese culture when it comes to styling, such as the pads are still distinct but not perfectly manicured, and incorporates more negative space.

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Are these shimpakus or a type of juniper local to Taiwan? I also thought I read somewhere that many of these were field grown, which is incredible if that's the case. Their growth rates must be much faster than for other types of junipers, climates, etc.

There are a lot of great trees from Taiwan besides junipers - the work the folks there have done with boxwoods and local species is amazing.
These are Juniperus chinensis, field grown. The purists may not call it shimpaku. I don’t know how long it takes for a field grown juniper to get to this stage, but I saw a lot of field grown bonsai in Central part of Taiwan, where there hundreds of nurseries.

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
I will post their Sea Hibiscus and Premna in the tropical tree section. They are stunning.

Sea

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yah. I love what Taiwan has in deciduous. There are some badass hibiscus, eleagnus, hackberry, elm, and more.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Interesting to see the looser, more open style of these bonsai, compared to the fuller, more manicured Japanese junipers. All of these trees seem to be in the peak of health, also. Do they wire as much as the Japanese, or use more clip and grow?

Thanks for posting. Stunning images.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wow very nice. The hand carving is a bit obvious here and there but overall great trees. The second one in particular!

Top Bottom