Ficus-4 (twisted trunk)

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Starting a thread for this one. Over the last couple years, I’ve been reducing the top and now I had to do the ultimate deed. Make a big chop and growing the primaries from scratch.

You can see the history of the tree here -

Before -

IMG_1448.jpeg

After -

IMG_1449.jpeg

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Starting a thread for this one. Over the last couple years, I’ve been reducing the top and now I had to do the ultimate deed. Make a big chop and growing the primaries from scratch.

You can see the history of the tree here -

Before -

View attachment 507864

After -

View attachment 507865
Hopefully, you’ll get lots of back-budding as a result of the big chop. In particular, the appearance of a new low branch on the trunk would be really advantageous in order to develop taper. Right now, the trunk diameter seems to be pretty much constant going up the twisted section. If you can get a low branch to add some girth to the bottom portion of the twisted trunk, I think that’ll really take this tree to the next level.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hopefully, you’ll get lots of back-budding as a result of the big chop. In particular, the appearance of a new low branch on the trunk would be really advantageous in order to develop taper. Right now, the trunk diameter seems to be pretty much constant going up the twisted section. If you can get a low branch to add some girth to the bottom portion of the twisted trunk, I think that’ll really take this tree to the next level.
I can also thread graft. Thanks for the suggestions. There is some taper but I guess it’s not noticeable from this angle. In any case, I would need some lower branches.

Last edited:
Top Bottom