Ficus benjamina Progress

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It seems I don’t have a thread following this trees - I thought that I did… but I guess I don’t.
Anyways, I think it’s time it gets it’s own thread. The blue pot is only for training.
the tree was started from nursery stock, early October, 2020.

9th of October, 2020
2BF6157E-EDF0-4484-AA2E-B38E75489FAD.jpeg

22nd of October, 2020
5CA99D1E-5B5C-4105-89E3-B6B91F0D453A.jpeg

15th of March, 2021
956263E9-AE86-483B-8AEB-936EC3451E86.jpeg

12th of June, 2021
0A25F34A-7F28-4003-AACE-FCBC313CC312.jpeg

26th of July, 2021
A8D365DB-0B37-4639-AC26-D85658DC3BF9.jpeg

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think you're right, I never noticed the aerial roots down low until you showed the other side, but both sides look pretty good!

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It seems I don’t have a thread following this trees - I thought that I did…
This tree was in another thread because I remember it inspired me to chop mine

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the new front personally. I've never been a huge fan of the aerial roots, but that may be because so many times they're taken to an extreme.

Just picked up one of these for at work, and I'm looking for insperation and tips, so keep it coming.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think you're right, I never noticed the aerial roots down low until you showed the other side, but both sides look pretty good!
Yea I never liked them in the front but told myself that when I expose the roots they’ll look better. But I don’t think they will, I think they’re best in the back or to the side. Plus I think the original front just looks flat - the new front is more dynamic and shows better trunk movement.
Thanks for the feedback!

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I couldn
This tree was in another thread because I remember it inspired me to chop mine
I couldn’t remember if I posted it! Lol I thought I had but couldn’t find it.
But also, this pot was used for another tree, so it might have been that one and not this tree.
But I don’t remember things well…
BE491D52-5C35-4FEC-B57E-0387EC1D2248.jpeg0E64A078-0AAE-49E5-A489-C76141A596FD.jpeg

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the new front personally. I've never been a huge fan of the aerial roots, but that may be because so many times they're taken to an extreme.

Just picked up one of these for at work, and I'm looking for insperation and tips, so keep it coming.
Thanks! Looking forward to seeing yours! Does it have a thread yet?
But yea same, and these aerial roots were awkwardly placed - so I think it’s better this way.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
But also, this pot was used for another tree, so it might have been that one and not this tree.
Ahhh you're right, my bad. Yeah that's the one you used guy wires to pull down.

Another good tree!

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ahhh you're right, my bad. Yeah that's the one you used guy wires to pull down.

Another good tree!
Thanks. I actually forgot that tree was in this pot before this one. These are two of my favorite benjaminas.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks! Looking forward to seeing yours! Does it have a thread yet?
But yea same, and these aerial roots were awkwardly placed - so I think it’s better this way.
Not yet. I need to find a practical light for it since my desk is about as far from the window as it gets, and pick a pot or two. I work at a school, and I'm hoping to get them gowing on a bonsai or at least a gardening club or something. Working the tree right in front of other staff seems like a good way to make the case. I'll have to look into the policy on posting pics outside the regular platforms before I start a thread for it.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not yet. I need to find a practical light for it since my desk is about as far from the window as it gets, and pick a pot or two. I work at a school, and I'm hoping to get them gowing on a bonsai or at least a gardening club or something. Working the tree right in front of other staff seems like a good way to make the case. I'll have to look into the policy on posting pics outside the regular platforms before I start a thread for it.
I see. That’s really cool! I hope it goes well, bonsai has so much to offer. Kids (of any age) can surely learn plenty from it.
One of those cheap bendy LED lights off amazing might be a good option.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
One of those cheap bendy LED lights off amazing might be a good option.

Sorry to continue the off-topic, but I bought one of those last year and was only mildly satisfied with it. Years ago I kept ficus bonsai in a cubicle around the corner from any windows, and I used a small (2' I think) fluorescent fixture. Things grew pretty well, and I think that could be the way to go. Less likely than LED's to be off-putting to coworkers who are already used to fluorescent tubes in a corporate environment.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry to continue the off-topic, but I bought one of those last year and was only mildly satisfied with it. Years ago I kept ficus bonsai in a cubicle around the corner from any windows, and I used a small (2' I think) fluorescent fixture. Things grew pretty well, and I think that could be the way to go. Less likely than LED's to be off-putting to coworkers who are already used to fluorescent tubes in a corporate environment.
I was actually asking about this in a thread last week, if you felt like continuing without intruding.

Top Bottom