Ficus benjamina twig over rock

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Last year I let this cutting of a ficus benjamina grow over a small piece of fossilized coral. I chose that rock because it looked good, I wasn't thinking about the copious amounts of calcium it could release into the soil, but meh, whatever.
I kept it inside for the winter, and it survived! Even though I don't have any south-facing windows. Now I'm keeping outside for this summer. It grew pretty well and when I removed the plastic and moss cover, the roots had grown strong and deep over and underneath the rock (or pebble...). There are still some gaps, but I think they'll fill in when the roots grow bigger.
This is definitely going to be a very small bonsai! I don't think that in the end it will be much taller then it is right now (measured from the top of the rock, which is almost as big as the depth of the pot).

My plan for now:

- Cut and let grow
- Try to build up a trunk with nice taper
- Slowly raise the rock with every repotting
- Buy grow lights for the winter

I think I have some years to live. So maybe when I'm sixty, this will be a good looking tree and no longer a twig in a pot.WP_20170712_20_23_56_Pro.jpg WP_20170712_20_24_10_Pro.jpg WP_20170712_20_24_21_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom