Ficus cuttings wilted out of nowhere

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Willow leaf ficus are finicky about everything to say the least. Tiger bark, microcarpa, and the elusive retusa are far stronger than willow leaf.
My experience has been the same. My Tiger bark's are low/no maintenance and root so easily. My one Willow leaf makes me crazy. It drops all it's leaves around November and plays dead until April. I've never tried cuttings because I don't want any more of them.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My experience has been the same. My Tiger bark's are low/no maintenance and root so easily. My one Willow leaf makes me crazy. It drops all it's leaves around November and plays dead until April. I've never tried cuttings because I don't want any more of them.
I wanted to get one when I started, then I watched a few videos from David Cortizas, a bonsai artist from Spain that studied in Taisho-en. He worked in a few of them and constantly mentioned not to treat them like tiger bark or retusa because they will not respond the same. Even when repotting he treated them differently. I think Scott also mentioned something like this.

This is his channel, it's in Spanish, but you can use the settings and get subtitles auto-generated in English that are very close. His content is 60% or more about ficus.

Also, he is working at Taisho-en right now and has a live feed from there, I think he mentioned they will be working on some trees in preparation for the Taikan-ten... but I caught a little bit of the beginning so I may be wrong.

Top Bottom