Indoor experiments with ficus cuttings?

MSGhero

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is there anything fun or educational I can do with these 3 willow leaf ficus cuttings I just bought? I'm trying to learn from experience on something cheap, so I am OK with a technique even if it's not "ideal" or whatever.

I don't have access to outdoors, so this will all be under a grow light. This experiment is so I don't mess up my main ficus when it eventually needs these techniques (one day...).

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 23
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 23
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 20
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 20
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 18
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 24

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
One interesting thing you could do is single trunk versus multi-trunk or clump form. There are several cuttings suitable for both.

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
One thing that might be interesting is trying a different pruning approach on 2 of them and seeing how they respond. For my willow leaf I follow the advice in this thread (which is a GREAT resource if you haven't seen it):

But, you could maybe try one like MarkyScott and maybe try a full defoliation on another to see the difference in growth.

Also, you could experiment with taking cuttings to see if you can get them to strike. Then you've got unlimited willow leaf to play around with!

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm trying to learn from experience on something cheap, so I am OK with a technique even if it's not "ideal" or whatever.
Wire shaping vs clip and grow.

Willow leaf ficus thicken nicely in containers and seem to thicken with leaf density that doesn’t require really long extensions.

As suggested above, also defoliate/partially defoliate.

MSGhero

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lots of cool replies. I have the Yvonne thread bookmarked already, and my early spring indoor temps aren’t so bad, so I was even considering it for my main tree starting next year.

I saw fusion plus wiring, maybe here or in the ficus book. I think fusion with defoliation techniques on each individual, plus trying a few cuttings is pretty much everything I’d need to learn for some time!

MSGhero

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
One of them completely defoliated while I was away and had a plant sitter, so I guess I'm getting a head start on the defoliation comparison. Not too worried... The other two cuttings were fine, and they were fairly cheap in case I ever do need to get more.

Top Bottom