Finally, a big trident project

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Another warm, drizzly day... perfect for more root work!
View attachment 177467
The root grafts from the last 2 years are growing strongly.
View attachment 177468View attachment 177469
I started some new approach root grafts...
View attachment 177470
... and some new thread root grafts.
View attachment 177471
Wired in.
View attachment 177472
My new favorite power tool for root work. I got this variable speed cutting tool at Harbor Freight for around $30 (with a coupon). It cut through a few heavy roots without difficulty and I used it to cut the wedges for the approach grafts...so easy!!! I think this one will be invaluable in the future reducing trunk bottoms, too.
View attachment 177473
It's looking good!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Good work!

But it might have just been easier to have layered it!
I've had great success layering palmatums, but have failed repeatedly with tridents. This is taking a few years longer but the results speak for themselves and I'm having fun!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
looks great, is the pressure treated wood for the box or just regular pine?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
looks great, is the pressure treated wood for the box or just regular pine?
All my grow boxes are made from pressure treated decking. People think the pressure treatment makes the wood toxic to plants but that's just not true. I wouldn't grow tomatoes in them but the trees love it and I'm not planning on eating them any time soon.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That’s what it’s all about! How many IPA’s were consumed during the repotting?
I worked this one yesterday before and after breakfast (about 90 minutes.... so 2 cups of coffee and 1 homemade egg/turkey bacon bagel sandwich were consumed during the actual re-pot. The real question is how many IPAs were consumed AFTER the re-pot. Mitigating factors included the fact that I ended up doing a lot of yard work- winter storm clean up, putting trees back on benches, trimming, and I built several terraced planting areas, it was a Sunday so I was moderately reserved, and my wife wanted wine after dinner........ so the answer is TWO:p.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
All my grow boxes are made from pressure treated decking. People think the pressure treatment makes the wood toxic to plants but that's just not true. I wouldn't grow tomatoes in them but the trees love it and I'm not planning on eating them any time soon.

I do the same and was just curious

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Fantastic thread - I really enjoy watching what you fellas do with these big beasts - really entertaining!! Would like to have a go at working a Trident this big myself but I don't know where I couldn't get one in the UK.

Thanks for keeping us posted

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I worked this one yesterday before and after breakfast (about 90 minutes.... so 2 cups of coffee and 1 homemade egg/turkey bacon bagel sandwich were consumed during the actual re-pot. The real question is how many IPAs were consumed AFTER the re-pot. Mitigating factors included the fact that I ended up doing a lot of yard work- winter storm clean up, putting trees back on benches, trimming, and I built several terraced planting areas, it was a Sunday so I was moderately reserved, and my wife wanted wine after dinner........ so the answer is TWO:p.
Better work on your stamina! Redneck Study Group is coming up soon!

The workshop is Saturday, so you can come up Friday night if you want. Nothing like a hangover to help you prune those roots! And don’t even THINK about bringing any Turface! Lol!!! Unless it’s in a pot that’s getting repotted!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Another big boy got some work today. The nebari on this one is light years ahead due to the root grafting and the ebihara board (which fell of during the re-pot and needed to be screwed back on- ugh!). The ramification is so much better, and even though several of the approach grafts failed, there are new roots radiating outward all along the edge where the trunk and the board meet. No root grafts this year... a few more years and we'll really be in business.
IMG_1997.jpgIMG_1998.jpgIMG_1999 (1).jpg

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Amazing root progress in a years time.
I've gotta do this board thing in august.

Top Bottom