Finally , my very first japanese black pine

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks guys I've always been in love with the black pines so this is pretty fun for me. Especially because we can get two flushes of growth in one year! I'll take it ! You can get some good results in a decent amount of time of done properly. Thanks for the comments. It's always good to have others examine as well . I'll stare at trees at many different angles and just think about options and possibilities there is always something to do to progress.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice Madden Brian.

I'm with Adair on that, unless it's a special cultivar or very interesting, layers are a waste of time. Walter Pall said it, that's where it sunk in for me.

That's a lovely sacrifice, and you really do have some movement already.

I....am glad as hell for you that they say you can use that low branch too!

I vote, pimp tree in a few.

May as well show em!

Yeah!

Sorce
Nice madden..hahah

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
J, pretty sure you know I'm no good for pine care. But here's what I see for design.

I like the look of the base in the last picture. All this speaking of that pic.

That looks like it could be leaned right, almost 45 degrees in the pic, to better utilize a horizontal looking base, and using that root movement to give the look of a heavy bend right first, with no bending.

Use the top as a sacrfice, and your first left branch as the tree. And the right as a first branch if possible. (Pines?)

Though you may have to bend the first left branch up a bit, If this is the new leader, to better match the smoother low bend.

Nice! No reason this can't be a pretty dope tree!

Score

Sorce
BTW why don't you get in on the pine action bro! What the hell !

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks guys I've always been in love with the black pines so this is pretty fun for me. Especially because we can get two flushes of growth in one year! I'll take it ! You can get some good results in a decent amount of time of done properly. Thanks for the comments. It's always good to have others examine as well . I'll stare at trees at many different angles and just think about options and possibilities there is always something to do to progress.
You realize, I hope, that when you enter the refinement phase you remove the "first growth" ( the spring candles) to stimulate the summer candles (the second growth) to grow. It's not that you get "more" growth, the second growth produces shorter internodes and shorter needles.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BTW why don't you get in on the pine action bro! What the hell !

Bwahaha, stole that from Judy.

I got stupid(good) hopes for my Mugo, especially since Vance busted out the old pics.!

I don't have the space quite yet.

And I'll be holding out for something......
With a price tag!

Sorce

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It takes two years for JBP to layer, IF it does. Why bother?

Truely, it would be faster to grow one from seed!

Read Eric's thread "A few pine seeds six years later".

You said you wanted advice from "the pine guys". You're getting it.

I you listen to these guys you will have a very nice tree( not that it's not nice now because it is) but these guys know what they are talking about. Use their knowledge wisely. I want one really bad and had one but I got it at the wrong time o year and it didn't make it through the winter here in Michigan. I will wait until I get more experience before I try again, but I will try again

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Michigan is pretty cold for JBP. They would need some extra protection. Like an unheated garage.

Other species of pine are better suited for your weather. Mugo, Scots pine, maybe Kapanese White pine. JWP are usually grafted on JBP stock.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What are your goals for this tree? How big do you want? Do you want to fatten the trunk?

The answer to "what to do" is dependent on your vision what you want in the end.

Not kill it....at which point he'll develop "vision" after building interest in the tree he's been caring for. $.02 opinion

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Michigan is pretty cold for JBP. They would need some extra protection. Like an unheated garage.

Other species of pine are better suited for your weather. Mugo, Scots pine, maybe Kapanese White pine. JWP are usually grafted on JBP stock.

Looks like I'm moving down to Mississippi after the first of the year..maybe that's more suited for them

Rick

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They would love Mississippi! They are coastal trees. Live near the ocean. They love hot summers.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Central Mississippi, from what I've been told it only get below freezing maybe 2 weeks a year. And I thought they needed a dominant period.

Rick

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah well you have to pick your poison.hot or buried up to your a$$ in snow..ok back to the topic.sorry or the brief hijack.

Rick

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok I'm going to start a new thread because I don't want to hijack anymore of this thread. But I do have lots of questions.

Rick

Top Bottom