Five Year Native Tree Challenge: Gabler’s Loblolly Pine

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m optimistic this will make a decent bonsai someday, but I doubt this will prove to be a viable project for the Native Tree Challenge.

9B5937AB-D217-4D13-8542-C610BBB8A2D0.jpeg

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How’s it doing these days?

I've been dealing with an infestation of what appears to be needle tip blight. It killed several yard trees and then moved to my bonsai. I've been heavily applying copper fungicide, and that seems to have arrested the problem, so I haven't lost any trees just yet. This one has put on a fair amount of growth, but others have clearly been weakened.

ERClover

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I've been dealing with an infestation of what appears to be needle tip blight. It killed several yard trees and then moved to my bonsai. I've been heavily applying copper fungicide, and that seems to have arrested the problem, so I haven't lost any trees just yet. This one has put on a fair amount of growth, but others have clearly been weakened.
Sorry to hear, hopefully everything pulls through. Scary to think so much time and effort can be snatched away by the many pests and diseases out there.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Not to offend but wondering, what made you decide to use a Loblolly for this project?

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Since the tree did well last year, I pruned off the middle branches to get more sun to the lower branches, and I left a single long leader to heal the chop wound.

IMG_1233.jpeg

Top Bottom