[FL, 10b] Hoping for thoughts on doing my garden-wide, 2nd-of-year hard-prunings so late in the year..

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I was lucky enough to get to talk-shop at great lengths with @choppychoppy this past wkend and, among a multitude of other important things he helped me with, he also reminded me of something incredibly obvious that I'd forgotten: photoperiod-
avg daylight hours 2 3rds of the way through Oct the photoperiod drops below 12hr!.png
^thankfully in my town it's not as-close as I thought to sub-12hr's-sunlight days, am reading that chart to say ~2/3rds of the way through Oct so if I got the prunings (hard-pruned canopies, mildly-pruned roots along with up-potting for anything that was reallly squeezed-into its container!) done this week I imagine that's not toooo risky right? FWIW I've never had a bougie drop leaves in winter here (or ficus'), they continue growing just slower in the winter, crape myrtles can go semi-dormant although I had late-fall yardadori's last year that, due to their trunk-chops, were slowly-but-surely growing new primaries through fall&winter into spring....BC's go dormant!

We're still hitting 90deg days, I've cleared a large amount of the foliage from nearby trees that loomed over parts of my garden at mid-day so light's up a respectable % for a large portion of my garden, and - very neat thing I just learned - I'm not the 9a/9b line I'd thought, a closer-up look at the USDA map actually has me as a low-9b / high-10a :D

Also curious about thoughts on how risky it'd be to also cut&bag an air-layer on a ficus.benji this week, my ficus' are growing so robustly that everything in me tells me it will most-definitely be nice and rooted in a couple months max (thing is throwing so many aerial roots now!!), but figured it's best to ask just for opinions!

Thanks for thoughts, experiences etc on this, I've gotten myself into trouble before with too-late prunings but think that I'm *just* before that too-late mark, would love to hear others' thoughts though!! I'll have to do *some* level of pruning as I've just got wayyyy too-many bushes/'fro's going right now lol but the ideal/optimum is to do full & proper hard-prunings the same way I'd done back at late-spring/early-summer (almost my entire garden is comprised of tropicals, mostly the species mentioned above actually :) )

Top Bottom