FLIR showing live tissue on a mostly dead tree

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
First attempt at discerning live tissue from dead using false color infrared. The tree in the video only has one live branch on the left. The bark covers both live and dead tissue. The camera shows a slight difference in color where I should find the edge.

The camera is new to me. Please forgive the color jumps and jittery camera work.

Larger bald cypress can develop dead spots beneath the bark in the first years after collecting them. The spots may not reveal themselves for a year or more. The design of the tree will have to incorporate these dead spots but first you have to know they're there.

Well, all that is fine and dandy, but it's also a pretty nifty toy, uh, I mean tool. Either way, here's my dog.

FLIR_20220413_060153.jpg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you have a visible light pic from about the same view?
Just something to compare to out of curiosity.

I want a FLIR camera, but I have no idea what I'd actually do with it.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Do you have a visible light pic from about the same view?
Just something to compare to out of curiosity.

I want a FLIR camera, but I have no idea what I'd actually do with it.
The app captures both for still images only. Video is what you see. The camera has two lenses for both.

Justifying the purchase was backwards logic. I wanted one but had no idea what I'd use it for. So I looked for problems where the camera is the solution. We have some spot in the house that are not well-insulated. That's the other reason I used to justify the purchase. My wife doesn't know about the camera and won't be happy. But when I show her how to find energy loss spots in the house, she'll be borrowing it. Now I just need to teach her how to caulk.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The app captures both for still images only. Video is what you see. The camera has two lenses for both.

Justifying the purchase was backwards logic. I wanted one but had no idea what I'd use it for. So I looked for problems where the camera is the solution. We have some spot in the house that are not well-insulated. That's the other reason I used to justify the purchase. My wife doesn't know about the camera and won't be happy. But when I show her how to find energy loss spots in the house, she'll be borrowing it. Now I just need to teach her how to caulk.
I can't afford to do that.
But I still had a conversation today about getting a drone, and the only thing I could think to use it for is hunting yamadori without having to unnecessarily climb a cliff.

Maybe I'll just wait until it's time to replace my phone and spring for one that has the built in FLIR. I imagine they're not great FLIR cameras, but definitely more than I actually need.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
But I still had a conversation today about getting a drone, and the only thing I could think to use it for is hunting yamadori without having to unnecessarily climb a cliff.

Maybe I'll just wait until it's time to replace my phone and spring for one that has the built in FLIR. I imagine they're not great FLIR cameras, but definitely more than I actually need.
A drone is absolutely necessary for yamadori collecting! You just need to post your videos. Step 1: Get a DJI Mavic. Once you've done that, come back and we'll help you with step two.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A drone is absolutely necessary for yamadori collecting! You just need to post your videos. Step 1: Get a DJI Mavic. Once you've done that, come back and we'll help you with step two.

Unfortunately, a new washer and drier are on the top of the to-do list, so probably a little out of my price range.
That I have no experience with drones, so I think I'll crash a $100 one first. :p

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Unfortunately, a new washer and drier are on the top of the to-do list, so probably a little out of my price range.
That I have no experience with drones, so I think I'll crash a $100 one first. :p
Every accident I've had with my drones is a result of me flying above my ability. I have two thin scars on the back of my hand from picking up an upside down drone I crashed. Turn them off first! The scars remind me that I don't really know what I'm doing.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Every accident I've had with my drones is a result of me flying above my ability. I have two thin scars on the back of my hand from picking up an upside down drone I crashed. Turn them off first! The scars remind me that I don't really know what I'm doing.
Sound about like half the scars I have.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

You sir have bought an uber cool tool for bonsai but it will be the cause of the filling of your honey-do jar. Sure she can easily learn how to caulk but it is so much easier to just tell you to do it.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Climbing cliffs = good exercise.
Use the money to buy better soil for your trees.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You sir have bought an uber cool tool for bonsai but it will be the cause of the filling of your honey-do jar. Sure she can easily learn how to caulk but it is so much easier to just tell you to do it.
30 years of marriage has taught me that the honey-do jar will never be empty. It has also taught me how to ignore something just long enough for her to do it herself. I once had her cutting the grass on Mother's Day. Why she's still married to me is baffling.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
30 years of marriage has taught me that the honey-do jar will never be empty. It has also taught me how to ignore something just long enough for her to do it herself. I once had her cutting the grass on Mother's Day. Why she's still married to me is baffling.
With respect to the honey-do jar, mine was emptied out by hurricane Laura or so I thought. It took about 3 milliseconds for the honey-do jar to triple in size.
BTW, thanks for all the BC collecting videos. I collected 7 big BCs without issue using the techniques I learned in those video.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Climbing cliffs = good exercise.
Use the money to buy better soil for your trees.
At some point I got it in my head to make my own soil. I've spent hundreds on equipment to sift and mix soil. The trick is to turn it around and sell soil to support your hobby.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
With respect to the honey-do jar, mine was emptied out by hurricane Laura or so I thought. It took about 3 milliseconds for the honey-do jar to triple in size.
BTW, thanks for all the BC collecting videos. I collected 7 big BCs without issue using the techniques I learned in those video.
You're welcome! I'll be addressing my absence from YouTube in a video that I hope to make very soon.

I'll be posting a notice in General Discussion regarding a Facebook Live event this Thursday. Underhill Bonsai in Folsum, Louisiana will be doing their "Third Thursday Live" at 5pm CDT on April 21. I'm the guest artist. We're doing a two-slab planting of bald cypress. You can find out more on Facebook if you search for Underhill Bonsai or by clicking this link: https://www.facebook.com/underhillbonsai/

Top Bottom