Florida Growing Season?

Bunchabull

Seed
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm totally new to Bonsai. I have been reading all the forums and ordered some books. I have a question about ferilizing. Most articles I read say to fertilize every two weeks during the "growing season". I live in South Florida where the growing season seems to be all year. Does that mean I fertilize all year?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You probably can with tropical trees that grow year round like ficus. Most temperate trees like pines and maples, elms and hornbeams like a rest period. Cut back on the nitrogen during three months in winter and provide a 0-3-5 fertilizer during those months and resume back to a more balanced fert. (5-5-5) in Feb.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Hi everybody,

I'm totally new to Bonsai. I have been reading all the forums and ordered some books. I have a question about ferilizing. Most articles I read say to fertilize every two weeks during the "growing season". I live in South Florida where the growing season seems to be all year. Does that mean I fertilize all year?

Absolutely with tropicals. With deciduous trees and juniper, skip December and January.

Reaction score
being in tampa, we still get a winter, all be it very short... I usually pass on all fertilizing durring cold months, unless I am bringing my plants in.

Top Bottom