Flowers 2020

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
i have an apple and mums orchard near me. whats the deal with these? fall blooming, short living? people love them - i dont know a lot about them. can almost smell that picture though
I just put a pot by my door every fall, but you can plant them in the ground. They really don't smell very good.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I just put a pot by my door every fall, but you can plant them in the ground. They really don't smell very good.
interesting. theyre pretty...not sure they do it for me though. pretty sure my mum loves them though - i should buy some this year for the girls

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Tulips have started flowering here
IMGP9381.JPG

Chinese quince flowers are also opening
IMGP9389.JPG

The pink flowering peach now in flower just as the white one nearby finishes.
IMGP9397.JPG

Banksia 'Giant Candles'
IMGP9462.JPG

Maybe not impressive but the flowers on casuarinas are interesting.
Female flowers along the stems will produce cones if pollinated
IMGP9395.JPG

Male flowers occur at the ends of the shoots
IMGP9396.JPG
Many casuarina species are monoecious but this tree has both male and female flowers.

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
DBC in 7 gal paludarium flowering

Joe, how are you over-wintering yours? This is my first year with them. We've had a few nights in the upper 40s and my Dwarf Barbados Cherries took some leaf damage. They are definitely more tender than ficus. I have a full-spectrum light I use to over-winter my other tropicals but the leaf damage has me thinking DBC might be more demanding. Any suggestions? Thanks!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Joe, how are you over-wintering yours? This is my first year with them. We've had a few nights in the upper 40s and my Dwarf Barbados Cherries took some leaf damage. They are definitely more tender than ficus. I have a full-spectrum light I use to over-winter my other tropicals but the leaf damage has me thinking DBC might be more demanding. Any suggestions? Thanks!
You broke the rules of the flower thread my friend 🙂 here's a couple wild flowers from the yard.

I let them stay outside until it gets down to about the upper 40s and then bring them in. I have left cuttings in my cold greenhouse though, they made it but did not grow very much. Inside, I set them on a table near a south facing window and use an LED light. Theyre actually aquarium lights but I highly recommend them for terrestrial plants too. Finnex fugeray planted+, they come in a couple different sizes.

Leaf damage? Yellowing?

Attachments

• 20200805_173009.jpg
    20200805_173009.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 4

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
This photograph of my malus 'Tina' taken yesterday, 20 September

View attachment 330555

It has not bloomed since 2017 and then i bloomed in spring like all self-respecting crab apples do.

2020 :(
It may be confused, but at least it's blooming. Maybe trying to cheer you up, knowing what a crappy year it's been.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
My dbc have seen a few nights in the 40's with no ill effects, most of them are blooming. But they are up close to the house, which may help. Of all my tropicals they seem to do the best indoors, just don't let them dry out.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It may be confused, but at least it's blooming. Maybe trying to cheer you up, knowing what a crappy year it's been.
Indeed, it and my Blue Baron have cheered me, but it is also vexing (if that is still a word :rolleyes:).
Better than never, but why now?? :oops:

... always able to find a downside ... 😩

🤣🤣😂

Top Bottom