Flowers 2024

Duranta has golden yellow berries if you can get the flowers pollinated. Hence "golden dew drops" , berries seldom seen outside the tropics. I do not know if the berries are edible or not.
You just woke up a memory for me, I do remember seeing a few of those berries last year, there was only a few and they weren't fully formed. Shaped like a banana, instead of round, never thought of eating one. :) Quick google says don't eat. The flowers are followed by yellow-orange clusters of round fruits in late summer to fall. The fruits can be fatal to dogs and children if eaten but do not harm the birds.

I just spent 20 min going through my pictures but I didn't find one of the Duranta berries. So, instead a Barbados cherry, and a Water Jasmine.

1714521745390.png

This water Jasmine freaked me out, and went deciduous on me over the winter. Took months to drop all the leaves and about six weeks to grow them back. It's really overgrown now and I need to trim it back, but it's starting to flower now so I'll wait till it's done because it smells so nice. :)

1714521893107.png

Prunus spinosa. Few of them.
So, jealous!
I couldn’t find any nursery stock so, I had to start from seed (which can also be a bit challenging in the states). I’m finally getting flowers on my oldest starts but, it’s gonna be a long time before I have a decent Blackthorn with that dark bark in a bonsai pot.

Back
Top Bottom