Forestiera neomexicana / New Mexican Privet / Desert Olive

evolve

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Anyone know anything about this species? Not much info out there for its use in bonsai. I found this one at a local nursery. It has some decent, albeit a bit scraggly, surface roots and the leaves are wonderfully small.

forestiera1.jpg forestiera2.jpg

Basic info I've read says it's a fast grower, very hardy, and drought tolerant. If it responded well to some hard pruning I think this could make a nice tree someday. If it was cheaper I would have went ahead and picked it up and called it an experiment.

Thanks

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi there evolve. I've been practicing bonsai for 3 years now and have multiple New Mexico olives or New Mexico privets depending on the nursery you go to. They grow wild all along the rio grande in my hometown of albuquerque and are one of my favorite shrubs to use in a landscape setting, due to their fast growth, wild shape and beautiful green spring color and yellow fall color. I'm of the opinion that the New Mexico olive is an untapped gem in the bonsai world and with training could be excellent bonsai. They are a species that are tough as nails and can tolerate heavy root pruning and drastic cut back with excellent back budding, but do not seem to callous over too quickly. They tend to sucker heavily as this is their tendency in the wild, but if you pick back the suckers early you can maintain the tree easily. They also, in the wild, ground layer easily, and in some cases can be a single organism as wide as 20 to 30 ft around. they, in many cases, are trimmed like traditional shaped shrubs and tend to ramify easily. They respond well to wiring and are quite pliable. They're small leaf size and bark color lend themselves to looking like an aspen grove when planted in groups. I would say DEFINITELY worth the purchase. I hope this helps.

best regards
DH

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a crude photo of a group planting I started last year. All three trees were cut back drastically last spring, allowed to grow independently then planted together this spring. Hopefully my bonsai photo skills improve over time...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 158

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi there evolve. I've been practicing bonsai for 3 years now and have multiple New Mexico olives or New Mexico privets depending on the nursery you go to. They grow wild all along the rio grande in my hometown of albuquerque and are one of my favorite shrubs to use in a landscape setting, due to their fast growth, wild shape and beautiful green spring color and yellow fall color. I'm of the opinion that the New Mexico olive is an untapped gem in the bonsai world and with training could be excellent bonsai. They are a species that are tough as nails and can tolerate heavy root pruning and drastic cut back with excellent back budding, but do not seem to callous over too quickly. They tend to sucker heavily as this is their tendency in the wild, but if you pick back the suckers early you can maintain the tree easily. They also, in the wild, ground layer easily, and in some cases can be a single organism as wide as 20 to 30 ft around. they, in many cases, are trimmed like traditional shaped shrubs and tend to ramify easily. They respond well to wiring and are quite pliable. They're small leaf size and bark color lend themselves to looking like an aspen grove when planted in groups. I would say DEFINITELY worth the purchase. I hope this helps.

best regards
DH
Do you happen to be part of the albuquerque bonsai club?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not at the moment a member. I've gone to the Mother's Day show the last 2 years and have been wanting to join for quite sometime. I keep saying I'm going to attend the club meetings on the first Saturday of each month but with 3 young kiddos a full time job and a new house, something is always coming up. I am, however, extremely passionate about bonsai and with everything going on in my life, it always gives me a much needed moment of serenity and relaxation.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I noticed you work at a "nursery". Which nursery do you work at in Abq? I love wandering my local nurseries any chance I get.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I noticed you work at a "nursery". Which nursery do you work at in Abq? I love wandering my local nurseries any chance I get.
I work at rehms on Lomas between Sam Mateo and San Pedro on the north side of the road stop in anytime and we can talk bonsai or something.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I work at rehms on Lomas between Sam Mateo and San Pedro on the north side of the road stop in anytime and we can talk bonsai or something.
My best friend Aaron worked there for several years and now runs the Santa Ana garden center in bernalillo. I'm also well acquainted with Brian. I was in there recently and spotted an acoma crape myrtle and a quince that I'd like to scoop up sometime soon. My name is Danny, what's yours and I'll ask for you next time I'm there.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My best friend Aaron worked there for several years and now runs the Santa Ana garden center in bernalillo. I'm also well acquainted with Brian. I was in there recently and spotted an acoma crape myrtle and a quince that I'd like to scoop up sometime soon. My name is Danny, what's yours and I'll ask for you next time I'm there.
My name just so happens to be Aaron as well.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Interesting, I was not familiar with the genus, so I hit wikipedia, there are around 20 or so species in the genus. Maybe 6 different ones native to the southwestern USA and northern Mexico. Some are in southern Mexico and the Baja del Sur. There is one species native to eastern USA, northern Florida and Georgia north to just the southern edge of Illinois. So if one were to guess, it would be hardy to maybe zone 6b or zone 7. They are definitely in the olive family. I really like seeing new native species that grow locally being tried out for bonsai. This is good to see.

@Hartinez - Danny, are the flowers fragrant? Many olive family members have nice fragrances. Do they flower profusely enough that they could be shown for flowers?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Hartinez - Danny, are the flowers fragrant? Many olive family members have nice fragrances. Do they flower profusely enough that they could be shown for flowers?[/QUOTE]

@Leo in N E Illinois

their flowers are quite inconspicuous and the attractive feature is the fall color of its leaves or the berries that are a result of the flowers. This tree is not actually an olive tree, but gets its name from the berries it produces.
i would post a pic of my foresterias in fall color but I've had a recent infestation of caterpillars that I did not catch fast enough, so all my leaves are gone. But an opportunity has risen for me to re-wire earlier than planned. I'll post pics after.

Last edited:

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
It's been almost 5 years since the OP asked the question. Hopefully, he or she has found the answer by now. ;)
Sorry, I am using these forums as a learning tool, so I thought adding more information wouldn't hurt, for the people who see this post in the future.

Top Bottom