Forgetting to take photos during work on trees

• Thread starter Deleted member 32750
  • Start date

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I sometimes take pics during rootwork, not always. I think its a great indicator of how much root you removed at any one time. or how much you started with or what youve achieved with your methods etc, again this is more geared toward a progression mindset or logging the process in pics. If I forget how much root I removed in one go, I can refer to my photo logs.
The result of this is that you further understand how much work trees can manage, what their thresholds are etc using the time stamps on the photos gives you an indication of what you did and when. youll never have to ask again, 'when is the best time to repot this maple', 'how much root is safe to remove from this maple' because you already know.

D

Deleted member 32750

Do it all the time. But in the end the more important thing to me is just photographing the trees progress through the years. That doesn't necessarily need to be when I am doing the work
This is true. The progression of the tree over time is more important.
I do like to photo certain techniques to document and compare to trees that didn’t receive the technique and see how it affects the progression/development of the tree

D

Deleted member 32750

I sometimes take pics during rootwork, not always. I think its a great indicator of how much root you removed at any one time. or how much you started with or what youve achieved with your methods etc, again this is more geared toward a progression mindset or logging the process in pics. If I forget how much root I removed in one go, I can refer to my photo logs.
The result of this is that you further understand how much work trees can manage, what their thresholds are etc
Yes this is a great point. Its hard to remember how hard you work the trees, or how the roots looked during a repot when you may be repotting dozens of trees in spring. Photos definitely help with this.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes this is a great point. Its hard to remember how hard you work the trees, or how the roots looked during a repot when you may be repotting dozens of trees in spring. Photos definitely help with this.
Yeh photos also help in the design process too, massively. I often see errors in photos that I edit in real time and then maybe photo the tree again. so in that sense photos help you to hone your eye. among many other things. I get as much pleasure in viewing photos of my trees as I do seeing them in front of me:)

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For me I don't forget but I just don't have the time to stop to take pictures. I feel sad at time when I think I should have done it to document the progress of what it used to be and what it is now...

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
you could go all Nigel Saunders here and just document the entire process, or take a timelapse of the job. Either way, take some snapshots out of the video file and use that. Then you wont have to wash and dry hands each time for a photo.
This is how my sister takes photos always. She records constantly, like at family events, then pulls out the frames she likes later.
It does get to be a little much! IMO 🤣

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Like anything, if you care about getting better at doing it, you get better at it.

Top Bottom