Forsythia -- air layer, cuttings or dig out?

USDA Zone
8a
I'm a beginner enthusiast, with a few pine bonsai-wannabes (some collected, some grown from seeds).

I have a big forsythia in the back garden. Was thinking of starting a bonsai from that one, as I need to heavily cut back the bush.
I'm considering a few options, but I'd like your input on what would be the most successful:
  • Do you think propagating via air layering would work on a forsythia? If yes, how old can the branch be?
  • Can I propagate forsythia via cuttings from a several years old branches (old hard wood)?
  • Which method would you recommend to propagate forsythia (so that I don't kill the bush, or end up with dried twigs)?
  • If I'd dug a part out, how much of the roots should I dig out, how much would be ok to cut back?
Many thanks,
Domi

leatherback

Masterpiece
USDA Zone
  1. Do you think propagating via air layering would work on a forsythia? If yes, how old can the branch be
  1. Any size will work. Just realize the wood is prone to rot so you may get a partially hollow trunk on the larger specimen
    [*]Can I propagate forsythia via cuttings from a several years old branches (old hard wood)?
    Yes
    [*]Which method would you recommend to propagate forsythia (so that I don't kill the bush, or end up with dried twigs)?
    Cuttings
    [*]If I'd dug a part out, how much of the roots should I dig out, how much would be ok to cut back?
I dug one with a 1 1/2 foot diameter base. Reduced it to 2ft diameter including roots to fit in a 2ft dish. That summer it grow so much I had to sell it: I could nto water frequently enough. inches per week.
One of the branches, about 3inch diameter, was damaged and had pushed a root through the back. I sawed it off, and put it in the ground. It lives and is now a big bush in my growbed, with massive trunk (Did die-back significantly though).

These things live as long as there are some roots, in my experience.