From Seed Division: Kadebe's Larix, Sequoia, Taxodium

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks.. well, I do everything here for the first time... never sown before, not yet formed a bonsai/prebonsai and certainly not a forest. Steep learning curve :p
Well, the first years they stay small if you play your cards right.
I honestly believe the key to growing conifers from seed is to keep growth at a minimum for the first two years, minimal but healthy. This will give you more nodes per cm height compared to fast growth; more branches down low and better chopping options.

Shallow pots prevent nasty tap roots, but that's usually no problem with larches, when they're young they can root pretty much anywhere. So cutting a couple fat ones off shouldn't be an issue.

All in all, enough time to ease in to it. No worries.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have 30 larch, 7 tax odium and 7 sequoia seedlings
Did root cut on the sequoia, Taxodium and most of the larch. On 6 larch I did a stemcut
Forgot to take pictures 🙈
IMG_0393 kopie 2.jpgIMG_0394 kopie 2.jpgIMG_0395 kopie 2.jpg

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did root cut on the sequoia, Taxodium and most of the larch. On 6 larch I did a stemcut

I'm curious...why root cut the sequoia? The don't really have a tap root. Even the gigantic monsters have roots that only reach down modestly.

I'm not saying there isn't an advantage/reason...just that I've never personally found the need and can't recall ever reading about others root cutting baby redwoods.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm curious...why root cut the sequoia? The don't really have a tap root. Even the gigantic monsters have roots that only reach down modestly.

I'm not saying there isn't an advantage/reason...just that I've never personally found the need and can't recall ever reading about others root cutting baby redwoods.
When I checked the seedlings, one had three long roots, the rest only two.
It's also the first time I've done this, so a learning opportunity

Top Bottom