Gabes Sekka Hinoki

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just worked on my Sekka Hinoki after being inspired by some pics in @opus1 thread.
I believe the tree was started at Brussels originally then it went to Bjorn. A friend bought it from Bjorn in 2019 or 2020 where it had its initial wiring. I bought it in Dec 2020 but I didnt bring it home until July 2021.

Dec 2020
20201206_100633.jpg

I repotted in April 2021 and let it grow all year. In March 2022, I wired the whole tree with copper.
20221223_173200.jpg

It grew all year to this in Nov 2022
20221106_162134.jpg

I trimmed up some long branches in Dec 2022
20221223_143234.jpg

The wind knocked it over and cracked the pot so I repotted in 2023. I took off the wire and it scarred the trunk slightly. I won't wire that much around the trunk anymore.

20230409_120638.jpg
20230816_201033.jpg

I consulted with a pro and he made some snips here and there. We mostly discussed the future and took some fun shots.
20230916_145149.jpg

20230916_145210.jpg

I just added about 20 guy wires to really open up the apex and bring branches down. I'm really happy with the way its turned out.
20240328_102932.jpg

I like this shot the best as the front. I need to fix the angle to go more upright or possibly a degree or two left??
20240328_102924.jpg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just worked on my Sekka Hinoki after being inspired by some pics in @opus1 thread.
I believe the tree was started at Brussels originally then it went to Bjorn. A friend bought it from Bjorn in 2019 or 2020 where it had its initial wiring. I bought it in Dec 2020 but I didnt bring it home until July 2021.

Dec 2020
View attachment 537832

I repotted in April 2021 and let it grow all year. In March 2022, I wired the whole tree with copper.
View attachment 537839

View attachment 537841

View attachment 537840

The wind knocked it over and cracked the pot so I repotted in 2023. I took off the wire and it scarred the trunk slightly. I won't wire that much around the trunk anymore.

View attachment 537847
View attachment 537848

I consulted with a pro and he made some snips here and there. We mostly discussed the future and took some fun shots.
View attachment 537849

View attachment 537850

I just added about 20 guy wires to really open up the apex and bring branches down. I'm really happy with the way its turned out.
View attachment 537878

I like this shot the best as the front. I need to fix the angle to go more upright or possibly a degree or two left??
View attachment 537879
This tree is sweet, pictures just don’t do it justice. Great work Gabe!

ForrestW

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nice looking tree :). My only thought is maybe try to move the bottom right branches (the longer ones) slightlly lower so they are not at the same heights as the one ones on the opposite side. Great overall shape and health!

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice looking tree :). My only thought is maybe try to move the bottom right branches (the longer ones) slightlly lower so they are not at the same heights as the one ones on the opposite side. Great overall shape and health!
Good call. I can work towards that.
Thanks guys

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice tree!

I like your idea of changing the front (longer branches pointing left). There's more foliage along the branch there to hide the bare primary and secondary branches. The current front feels like creepy-long fingers on a hand, though it has a significantly better nebari. Maybe you could remove the floating root at the next repot?

NateDyk47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice tree! It almost looks like a broom style,I think it has a bright future. I agree with @Wood about the floating root. You posted pics from multiple angles, is that the front or the back?

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice tree!

I like your idea of changing the front (longer branches pointing left). There's more foliage along the branch there to hide the bare primary and secondary branches. The current front feels like creepy-long fingers on a hand, though it has a significantly better nebari. Maybe you could remove the floating root at the next repot?
Good call about the branches and nebari. I think what you said is why the front looks best with longer branches on the left side. I can probably add a height difference like ForrestW suggested by changing the planting angle more to the left, too.

I am not sure what I'll do with the base. I don't mind it much though I see issues with both sides. My pro consult last year suggested a ground layer. If I can remove that large root without creating a void I will probably do it rather than ground layer.
Thank ya!

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice tree! It almost looks like a broom style,I think it has a bright future. I agree with @Wood about the floating root. You posted pics from multiple angles, is that the front or the back?
Thanks! The front right now is the last pic with the longer branches to the left.

This might be a formal upright or naturalistic style rather than broom as I intend to keep the branches going downwards rather than up like a broom.

Drcuisine

Yamadori
Reaction score

Dec 2020
View attachment 537832

View attachment 537839

View attachment 537841

View attachment 537840

View attachment 537847
View attachment 537848

View attachment 537849

View attachment 537850

View attachment 537878

View attachment 537879

Drcuisine

Yamadori
Reaction score
Nice tree, I live in San Francisco and I have had mixed experiences with these trees.

I bought a well grown out tree from Jonas Dupuich and brought it to be worked on by Peter Tea.

Whether it was the work or my weather or me, I don’t know, but the tree eventually slowly lost vigor, and eventually died.

I took cuttings from the branches removed during the styling and those all rooted very nicely, and some of those are now thriving.

I think lowering the branches with wires looks great.

I found some pictures of other trees that are somewhat similar to yours with different styles.

The first tree has thick pads, which goes well with a slightly thicker trunk.

The secondary is obviously grown in a very different style and getting that much height in one of those trees may take a long time.

The branches have a definitive downward angle, and the tree looks a bit like a coastal Redwood to me.

The third tree has much more space between the branches, allowing the viewer to see each individual branch which has some benefits.

The fourth picture was taken from the end of Bjorn video. Obviously, that looks incredible. He put an interesting bend in the branches where they first are bent up, then bent down with the tips flapping out to close to horizontal. These trees are relatively new to American Bonsai and I think we’re still learning what the best way to develop these trees are.

Luckily your tree looks like it’s thriving, so enjoy working with it and I’m sure it will only get better and better.

Thank you for sharing.

Mats

Attachments

• IMG_0783.jpeg
    IMG_0783.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0784.jpeg
    IMG_0784.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0785.jpeg
    IMG_0785.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0786.jpeg
    IMG_0786.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 24

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I agree. The current lean is better than straight up.

Nice sekka. Have you tried thuja Primo @WavyGaby ? These sekka seem to root well from cuttings.
I haven't tried that one. I have another standard Dwarf hinoki though. Chirimin seems to be like or possibly the same as Sekka.

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice tree, I live in San Francisco and I have had mixed experiences with these trees.

I bought a well grown out tree from Jonas Dupuich and brought it to be worked on by Peter Tea.

Whether it was the work or my weather or me, I don’t know, but the tree eventually slowly lost vigor, and eventually died.

I took cuttings from the branches removed during the styling and those all rooted very nicely, and some of those are now thriving.

I think lowering the branches with wires looks great.

I found some pictures of other trees that are somewhat similar to yours with different styles.

The first tree has thick pads, which goes well with a slightly thicker trunk.

The secondary is obviously grown in a very different style and getting that much height in one of those trees may take a long time.

The branches have a definitive downward angle, and the tree looks a bit like a coastal Redwood to me.

The third tree has much more space between the branches, allowing the viewer to see each individual branch which has some benefits.

The fourth picture was taken from the end of Bjorn video. Obviously, that looks incredible. He put an interesting bend in the branches where they first are bent up, then bent down with the tips flapping out to close to horizontal. These trees are relatively new to American Bonsai and I think we’re still learning what the best way to develop these trees are.

Luckily your tree looks like it’s thriving, so enjoy working with it and I’m sure it will only get better and better.

Thank you for sharing.

Mats
Thank you as well for sharing, Dr! I like the examples. I wonder how old the first one is and how it was made.

opus1

Sapling
Reaction score
Great looking tree!

With proper cultivation, it seems like it could become a specimen worthy of exhibition!

Top Bottom