GailC's little Christmas tree entry

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I'm hoping my alberta spruce is still alive but I won't know with that one for awhile. I'm not good with conifers, I really shouldn't have entered.
I’m not sure if very many of us are any good with conifers who entered, but that was kind of the point I think. Hopefully by the end of the three years we will have improved. Just keep swimming! :)

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I had lost interest in my spruce. It sat on the porch for a long time, eventually I moved it out to the yard where it got covered with snow.
About three weeks ago, I needed a gallon nursery pot so I pulled the spruce out of its can and left it sit bare assed in the yard. I had planned to toss it in the trash today but I found a pot for it instead.

Cut off half the root mass and combed out the remaining roots. Ended up removing about 70%, mostly fine roots. Not much in the way of a tap root.

Potted it up in potting soil, didn't want to risk it drying out this year.
Really have no idea what to do with conifers so I put in a couple jins, added some wiggles to them and wired most of the branches outwards.
Looks bad, probably killed it but it was a good learning experience. I do hope it survives.

Attachments

• 20200420_134124.jpg
    20200420_134124.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20200420_143756.jpg
    20200420_143756.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 42

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Your lucky with those trunks! My CBS has one straight trunk. I'll have to use my imagination!

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Your lucky with those trunks! My CBS has one straight trunk. I'll have to use my imagination!

I bought it for a christmas tree so I got as many trunks as I could find. I would have rather had one or two.

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We are coming closer to the end of the Little Christmas Tree contest. Final photos should be posted in your individual threads, and will be voted on by the general membership starting on April 30.

Time to start thinking about your repotting, final design, wiring, pruning and generally getting the trees in shape for the contest!

Top Bottom