Get out of the water! You’re getting all Prunus!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Soooo.. In past conversations i’ve had with @Leo in N E Illinois and others about my local cherry trees, I’ve basically decided against it.

I always though, in the back of my mind, that if I stumbled across a decent, easily accessible specimen, I would “give it a shot”. Today, upon collecting/rescuing two specimens from a worse, erosion-induced fate, such specimen was “stumbled upon” so such “shot” was taken. 🤓

Prunus Virgiana (ChokeCherry)BC7093B6-FB63-4B37-87BA-240E9721EF86.jpeg
B7C8FDAE-BDD3-4FA7-BD30-AA1A6A0D63A8.jpegE9B5D6C3-7FD6-4AA7-BE04-B4D117E4314B.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You actually found one old enough to have mature bark on the first couple inches of trunk. You're getting better at noticing older, more collectable worthy material. Let's see if this one cooperates for you.
ALSO.. upon “taking back” the massive root system that i “pulled” out with this tree, I noticed something characteristic about the roots. This being that in every location of fine root “protrusion”... said protrusion is VERY “multiple” as well as complex “right out of the gate”
The reason I took note of this is that I have observed this trait in OTHER root systems.. ALL of plants which could be propagated via the “root cutting method”... so THAT thought, along with the simple fact that the chokecherry is not a tree... ‘tis a shrub, bounced around the old noodle as I attempted some research.
Very little information was located... but the (LOOSELY quoted) IDEA of Jack Kramer’s came to mind...basically that “Failures are ALSO documented well, just like the successes.. so in a lot of cases.. YOU have to provide that documentation that people will look for”

So I think I will attempt a “tray” of meaty, chokecherry root cuttings..

This is one of the vague pieces of information/web links that I found.. so if this is FACTUAL.. my process IS possible.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
What's your plans with this beauty?
I have a couple of mental sketches... One, taller and elegant.. One, short and mystical!

It all depends on how low/where I will be able to get the buds next spring.

🤓

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Seems like a great candidate for a thread graft lower on the primary trunk. You have an interesting tree here for sure!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Seems like a great candidate for a thread graft lower on the primary trunk. You have an interesting tree here for sure!
Thank you! It’s actually “set-up” PERFECTLY for that! I hadn’t even noticed! 🤣

That will definitely be a consideration if I cannot get buds where I want’em.

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I assessed roots this year, only removing portions of larger, ugly roots... Also, I made height decisions.. and this will be my final "hard-prune" to the existing main trunk structure..

It's got about 2 more years in the new container.. then we will see if it's "ready" for the Stone Age pot.
9BDF8BC6-A510-4F37-829E-6FF73E98E208.jpegCFBC82D7-E72C-4674-93E1-DFAE27CC71EA.jpeg08BF0914-8ABB-4B40-BDC9-0945777CB24B.jpeg613C25F3-FD6B-4EC3-9977-D706EA6094CE.jpeg

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I assessed roots this year, only removing portions of larger, ugly roots... Also, I made height decisions.. and this will be my final "hard-prune" to the existing main trunk structure..

It's got about 2 more years in the new container.. then we will see if it's "ready" for the Stone Age pot.
View attachment 425626View attachment 425627View attachment 425628View attachment 425629
Ahhh I see where you’re going with this!

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 425626View attachment 425627View attachment 425628View attachment 425629
Like what you have done . Very interesting about the root cuttings . Makes sense they are so prone to sucker from the trunk . When damaged . I’ll gladly take any advice you have ie soil feeding whatever you have . That can help . Reason I started several from seed . Then as I told you quit bonsai for 10 years . They were planted I. The ground . As a rear north border to my veg garden . After they were well started into winter last fall I hard trunk chopped several . Initial plan is see what happens this spring . Suspect they will just promote suckers . But if I can stop that and get some decent budding . Give them a year and dig next spring . What I really want is a attempt at Prunus serotina black cherry Had planned a visit to my uncles property . He has a grove of them mature trees on the back of his land . Unfortunately someone last year . Drove a large truck as close as they could get to them and stole them for there high value wood . So goes part of his retirement fund . 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom