Ginkgo pruning

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess the answer still the same?
Some species are tricky when it comes to deep-cleaning the rootball, certainly on older specimen. A friend of mine advocates to never clean the core of Yew. Then this spring I sayw a yew where they did not clean the core and .. the first 2 inches from the stem had no roots. Not a big issue untill you realize the roots only extended 2 /12 inches frmo the trunk. Needless to say, the yew was struggling.

Experience & insight are invaluable in judging when to clean out, and when to leave things alone.

Last edited:

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ginkgo is so damn slow to thicken, even in the ground. It's probably my longest ever, "grow one from scratch" tree. If ever there was a cash or time decision this one would be cash every time if I had a 20+ year refund as a redo⌚🤔

KingAldamir

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
I know typically all gingko's are grown in the flame form but does anybody know of anybody experimenting with the unique "chi chi'" habit of gingko's?

Attachments

• chichi-on-ginkgo.jpg
    chichi-on-ginkgo.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 88
  • tenjin2b1p.jpg
    tenjin2b1p.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 54
  • Chichilarge1.jpg
    Chichilarge1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 59

KingAldamir

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
What the Hell is that?

I'm not sure if it's well know but older ancient gingko's (usually in China) form these tumorous growths that eventually form stalagmite-looking structures called "chi-chi's". It translates to breast or nipple relatively, it's a weird characteristic unique to Gingko not to be confused with the Chi-Chi cultivar which probably just has a tendency to form these growths more than common Gingko varieties .

There's an old story of a Chinese official who cut one of these off an old tree and turned it into a rare bonsai.

The Gingko Pages has a good description of it:

Attachments

• Chichilarge1.jpg
    Chichilarge1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 64

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I know typically all gingko's are grown in the flame form but does anybody know of anybody experimenting with the unique "chi chi'" habit of gingko's?

Chichi do develop on ginkgo bonsai, they are kept as a good indicator of maturity. Usually "chichi" don't appear until the tree has some age, usually something over 20 years in a pot. They become a key feature of the bonsai.

Ginkgo cultivars can be propagated by cuttings or grafting. There's a cultivar called 'Chi Chi' that indeed does produce the chichi feature at a younger age and more reliably than the average ginkgo from seed.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have a Chi Chi since about 2003 and I'll watch for this. I have never heard of this before. If mine does it I'll sell the ugly sucker.

Last edited:

KingAldamir

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
I have a Chi Chi since about 2003 and I'll watch for this. I have never heard of this before. If mine does it I'll sell the ugly sucker.
I know they're a bit ugly aren't they? Lol, I'd like to try my hand at controlling the growth and shape it somehow into a natural form. They remind of aerial roots like on a Ficus

Top Bottom