Ginseng ficus experiment...

Bonsaiboy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Less than a year ago, I bought one of those crappy walmart malls so, I figured I could mess around with it. Here's when I bought it,image.jpg here it is now,image.jpg I know it's not a real bonsai, it's just something I'd experiment with. Thanks.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It's certainly put on some growth. What kind of soil is it in though??

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I had it in highly organic, moisture holding soil as I was promoting aerial roots. I will be getting it back into well draining soil soon though.

I wouldn't think moisture retaining soil would help with aerial roots all that much. You can get them by simply enclosing the tree in something like a plastic bag.

Deadwood

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
rootsI do know that it's never a good idea to cross wiring. Additional wires should paralel one another. I'm not sure of how true it is as I'm a noob, but I've heard of promoting arial roots by making a small knick to expose the cambium and applying rooting hormone.

AlBooBoo

Mame
Reaction score
I can almost guarantee you that if you wrap some plastic around those tubers or upper trunk above the tubers with plastic and keep it moist inside.. 1- weeks it will shoot aerial roots :)

I had no problem using this technique on my plants and i think i have poor growing conditions for my plants.

Bonsaiboy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I can almost guarantee you that if you wrap some plastic around those tubers or upper trunk above the tubers with plastic and keep it moist inside.. 1- weeks it will shoot aerial roots :)

I had no problem using this technique on my plants and i think i have poor growing conditions for my plants.

I did that exact thing, and it worked. My problem was getting them to survive, I had literally hundreds and had only 2 that lived...

AlBooBoo

Mame
Reaction score
Hehe yea ive had the same problem my self :)

Dont know about a good solution tho... i live in norway so i have kinda limited growing conditions..

But trying to not remove the plastic wrap for some months now.

Or else there is the tips some people say about using drinking straws to guide them down to the soil

Top Bottom