Give me something to do!!!

jacob.morgan78

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Okay, here's the deal. I get a bit obsessive when I first get into a new hobby. It was the same way when I got into reef tanks (aquariums that focus on coral and fish common to coral reefs). That was about ten years ago and I'm still going strong. Now I'm getting into bonsai and feel the same way as I did when I started getting into reef tanks. I'm reading A LOT, browsing the forums, and asking questions of more experienced people. I need a more immediate fix though! I know I'm coming up on spring when things really get rolling but what can I do to pass the time until then?

I've always been interested in bonsai but decided to make the dive this year mainly because I'm clearing some land beside our new house and feel guilty for cutting down the trees and thought I could use (and try to save) some for bonsai. However, all this is happening within the next couple weeks before spring gets here. There are saplings and small trees of oak, maple, cedar (virginia juniper), dogwood, beech, pine and others.

So, any ideas?

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You could be building benches, preparing soil, ordering supplies like wire, etc, you could be having your tools sharpened or purchasing tools if you haven't already. Also, in VA, I'm sure you could be thinking of starting to hit nurseries to find interesting stock to practice on.

For me, I've been reading a TON, making plans for maybe doing some collecting next month, sourcing materials for soil. There's so much to do all at once it seems when the spring arrives, that it'll pay to be prepared.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jacob, get one tree first and learn to take care of it. Learn what it needs to thrive, learn about the basic styles of Bonsai. I am not saying you have to adhere to these styles to please yourself, but if you want 'props' from others in Bonsai having a discernably styled tree is the key. Of course to do this you will need hands on experience, wiring, pruning etc. which can only be gained from working on a healthy tree at the proper times to keep it healthy. This will be best accomplished using stock that will thrive in your locale, the trees you wanted to save for example would be a great start as they are already acclimatized to your area. Colecting a tree is a big step, depending on the species you have to learn the amount of roots needed to give it the best chance of survival. Certain plants can handle extreme root pruning while others can not, others lose branches from cutting back while others backbud well. The key is learning. I would buy a nursery plant if I were you this year, or maybe two or three, practise keeping them alive, learn proper techniques on them and at the same time study the tree you want to collect so when you are ready it will have the best chance at survival.

Good luck.

ed

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I second visiting nurseries for cheap trees to practice on. I have killed MANY trees learning how to wire, prune, style, etc.

In early spring, Home Depot and Lowes sell Japanese maples with 1" trunks for about $40. If you like Japanese maples, you could read about all the different cultivars. If you are lucky, you might even find one that will look nice in a bonsai pot right away. If you want fancier cultivars, right now is the perfect time (while they are still dormant) to buy 2-year grafts on eBay. These will be smaller though and will need to grow in training boxes or in the ground first.

The burning bush is an easy plant to play with. It has gorgeous bright red leaves in the fall.

Spiraeas are cheap and look very nice as bonsai. I especially love the bright yellow ones.

If you want plants that you can enjoy in winter, look into indoor bonsai. You can get inexpensive ficuses and aboricolas at Home Depot and turn them into bonsai. You should wait to work on them when it's warm enough to put them outside though. They will respond to heavy pruning better when it's warm and sunny. Building a happy place for them to be indoor during winter is a hobby in itself with lighting, humidity, etc.

You can also look into local clubs or bonsai stores and see what classes they have. They usually fill up fast.

Good luck!

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'd modify Ed's good suggestion and suggest you get two or three trees. Otherwise, you are likely to fiddle with that one tree until it gives up the ghost. With 2 or 3 trees you spread the love around and you may have a tree that survives for a while.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
wow, had no idea! I had found a club in Richmond but this looks pretty cool too! I know what I'll be looking into tonight!

However, I was looking for some more hands-on ideas I think :)

Hey Jacob. I'm a member of the Richmond club. We have some really great guests coming this year. Roy Nagatoshi is coming back and I'm especially excited about meeting Owen Reich this spring.

Hopefully we'll be able to meet soon. If you'd like, I can get you on the mailing list and link you with the Facebook page. Shoot me a PM with your email if you're interested. Also let me know if you're interested in digging some hornbeam this coming spring :)

Bernard

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey Jacob,

Welcome to B-Nut and the addiction.

You've gotten some great advice so far and it is great you are so enthusiastic.
However I would caution you a bit to try to keep it reined in somewhat.

Being new myself to the hobby, I understand how hard it can be, but the first thing we all need to develop in bonsai is patience. I implore you learn about the proper timing of things and to do your very best to follow those guidelines. You cant really rush things in bonsai and if you try, you will most likely end up with dead trees. You're in Virginia, and it is still winter there, especially this winter...lol. Now is way too soon to be collecting things and working on them. I doubt you'll find many trees at nurseries yet with the weather the way it is now.

The suggestion to contact Julian at Adams Bonsai is a good one. This might not have been clear, but the suggestion was for you to talk to him and volunteer your services in exchange for some hands-on experience and learning. Also joining the club is a great idea to get exposed to other people doing bonsai.

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah. Patience is not easy when you are so excited. Remember that plants aren't unlike the fish and corals you have. You can't keep rearranging the corals or disturbing your fish endlessly. You have to let the plants rest and grow. If you keep chopping them down, they'll eventually die. If you like to trim shoots constantly, look into trident maples and willow leaf ficus. They both grow very fast. Eventually, you'll figure out a good balance for you. Maybe you'll be content with 3 or 4. But let's be honest, who here has less than 10 trees? ;)

Not all plants are created equal. Some are easier than others. Stay away from collecting until you can keep nursery plants alive. And if you can help it, the bigger the bonsai, the easier it is to take care of it. Shohins are cute, but they need more watering, protection from the heat, protection from the cold, etc.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Okay, here's the deal. I get a bit obsessive when I first get into a new hobby. It was the same way when I got into reef tanks (aquariums that focus on coral and fish common to coral reefs). That was about ten years ago and I'm still going strong. Now I'm getting into bonsai and feel the same way as I did when I started getting into reef tanks. I'm reading A LOT, browsing the forums, and asking questions of more experienced people. I need a more immediate fix though! I know I'm coming up on spring when things really get rolling but what can I do to pass the time until then?

I've always been interested in bonsai but decided to make the dive this year mainly because I'm clearing some land beside our new house and feel guilty for cutting down the trees and thought I could use (and try to save) some for bonsai. However, all this is happening within the next couple weeks before spring gets here. There are saplings and small trees of oak, maple, cedar (virginia juniper), dogwood, beech, pine and others.

So, any ideas?
Depending on the tree species and the care you give them, NOW is a fine time to collect. Especially for cold hardy species like Maples, you should be fine collecting in mid- late February. I am pretty familiar with your location as my brother lives in VA and I would say unless you are in elevation you will be seeing Spring soon which means NOW, before the sap moves, buds swell and leaves pop- is a great time to collect. Most Pines in your area are gonna be pretty cold hardy as well. I would go ahead and collect whatever you can take from the lot you plan to clear, stick them in an Unheated garage, shed, cold frame... if it is going to freeze, keep them shaded for a couple weeks once they are outside, then slowly acclimatize them for more sunny locations... By the End of Spring, if the trees you collected are doing well they should be growing. They probably won't grow a lot this year but after a year to recover, you will probably see some more growth next year... Give us some details on the kinds of trees you are collecting and we can be more specific on care..

The suggestions to talk to a local Bonsai nursery about volunteering in exchange for experience are great suggestions. Wish I had been able to do that years ago, but we really don't have Bonsai nurseries around here...

As for stuff to do now- building benches, look for tools, soils, pots.... To get ready to start working on trees... You could even try your hand at styling if you want to buy a couple young junipers or something from a nursery to practice on...

jacob.morgan78

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey Jacob. I'm a member of the Richmond club. We have some really great guests coming this year. Roy Nagatoshi is coming back and I'm especially excited about meeting Owen Reich this spring.

Hopefully we'll be able to meet soon. If you'd like, I can get you on the mailing list and link you with the Facebook page. Shoot me a PM with your email if you're interested. Also let me know if you're interested in digging some hornbeam this coming spring :)

Bernard

I sent you a pm. Thanks for the info! The speakers sound great! I have to be careful making commitments though... We have two youngens and two busy schedules but please let me know closer to the date for digging the hornbeam. Sounds like fun and I'd be able to ask the million questions I'm sure I'll have by then!

Thanks again!

jacob.morgan78

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I really appreciate all the guidance here! There tends to be a little conflicting information but no more than anything else you try to find information on!

I'm definitely being patient but was just hoping for some safe suggestions of what I could be doing now... I definitely got that; thank you!

I'm going to wait a little longer (as long as I can before they come) and dig some trees before they start clearing the area I spoke of earlier. The trees/saplings are going to be leveled anyway so I might as well try. If I get large pots, can I keep them in the soil I collect them in or should I still use a potting soil mix? The reason I ask is that I would rather not spend a bunch of money on the potting soil but will if I need to.

I don't have any trees now but I will definitely be getting a few nursery trees to play with this spring :)

I'm going to start a new thread soon to give a few more specifics with what I plan to do.

Thanks again!!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If I get large pots, can I keep them in the soil I collect them in or should I still use a potting soil mix?

Potting soil IS NOT the right kind of soil for bonsai. The soil the trees are in may not be appropriate either. Do you know what the soil they are in now is like?
Different soil mixes are used for different kinds of trees. You need a good draining soil mix that does not stay wet for a long time.

Now would be a perfect time to do some homework and research what people use for soil BEFORE you start collecting/getting trees. There are plenty of threads here on the topic and plenty of info online and in bonsai books.

jacob.morgan78

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Potting soil IS NOT the right kind of soil for bonsai. The soil the trees are in may not be appropriate either. Do you know what the soil they are in now is like?
Different soil mixes are used for different kinds of trees. You need a good draining soil mix that does not stay wet for a long time.

Now would be a perfect time to do some homework and research what people use for soil BEFORE you start collecting/getting trees. There are plenty of threads here on the topic and plenty of info online and in bonsai books.

The trees wouldn't be bonsai yet, just recuperating from being taken out of the ground. I wouldn't do anything to them until next year when they are healthier. I've been doing a lot of homework about bonsai soil actually. The soil does have a fair amount of clay in it but does have a nice mix of forest floor compost mixed in naturally on top.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The trees wouldn't be bonsai yet, just recuperating from being taken out of the ground. I wouldn't do anything to them until next year when they are healthier. I've been doing a lot of homework about bonsai soil actually. The soil does have a fair amount of clay in it but does have a nice mix of forest floor compost mixed in naturally on top.

Doesnt matter if they are "bonsai" yet or not, potting soil is not good for trees in pots. These are not houseplants and when you put trees in pots, the game changes. This may not sound logical, but what they are growing in out in the forest will probably not work when you put it in a pot.

Soil with a lot of clay with a mix of compost is not good soil for trees in pots. Why? Because those soils retain too much moisture and will rot the roots and kill the trees. If you really have "done your homework about bonsai soil", you would realize this.

Soil mixes are a complicated topic with lots of options and opinions. A lot will depend on what you have available to you. As I said, there is lots of info on this forum but you should not expect us to do your research or regurgitate it all here for you. This is part of learning bonsai; keep reading.

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If it "makes you feel better" when you collect a plant keep some of the original soil on the root ball and place the specimen in a larger container filled with Dry Stall. The soil will eventually wash out and the plant will need water and nutrients on a regular schedule. I bare root almost everything but I am comfortable with the fact that trees do not need soil and how to care for them.

Grimmy

Top Bottom