Glazed for Deciduous, Unglazed for Conifers. hard and fast rule?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have a cork bark Japanese black pine in a glazed Vietnamese container. I did this for several reasons, but among them was this: I have a book called Artistic Potted Plants. The author was a Hong Kong banker who amassed a huge collection of penjing. He had many cork bark Japanese black pines, and some were potted in glazed Chinese fishbowl containers. I have written about this book elsewhere on BonsaiNut. So, this is what my tree looks like now.

View attachment 123768

I hasten to add that when I toured the gardens around the Emperor's palace in Tokyo, the guide explained that the Emperor who moved the capital from Kyoto to Tokyo specified evergreens as the predominant planting. He could have had anything but chose evergreens because they remained the same year round, were unobtrusive, but could be magnificent. Though I have no proof of this, my feeling is that bonsai masters must have taken their cue from this. They planted evergreens in unglazed pots--unobtrusive, earthy and humble.

And that's why my Ondae, above, is in a glazed pot. In this, I followed the Chinese.
Very cool!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The pot obviously has a functional role to hold the soil. The size and shape should be appropriate for the species and level of development. The horticultural aspects are more important than the aesthetics.

Once the tree has reached the point where it is in Show ready condition, it's not unusual to have an "everyday" pot and a "show" pot. There are a couple of reasons for this: the everyday pot could have a little more soil to promote healthy roots, it should be sturdy and stable, and maybe heavier. Sometimes Show pots might have more delicate feet, or be "tippy" so that they are more prone to falling over during high winds, or if a bird lands on it.

About the glaze: as has been noted, generally, conifers look better with unglazed pots. And so do some deciduous and evergreens like azalea. The whole idea is whether the pot style, shape, color, glaze complete complement the tree. I have seen a juniper in a bright red glazed pot! And it worked! (Sorry, I don't have a picture. I'll see if I can get one.)

Shohin can often sport brighter, more colorful pots.

The point is to enhance the beauty of the tree. If it does, then it's good.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
...About the glaze: as has been noted, generally, conifers look better with unglazed pots. And so do some deciduous and evergreens like azaleas...
One Q regarding glazed vs unglazed pots. We have some good potters here in my country. Their pots are frost resistant, beautiful and for very good money. The pot design is very competitive too...but the most of them are glazed.

So then are mat glazed pots acceptable for conifers? The colour of this glaze can be very similar to those Yixing unglazed pots. I think they look nice potted in them.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
One Q regarding glazed vs unglazed pots. We have some good potters here in my country. Their pots are frost resistant, beautiful and for very good money. The pot design is very competitive too...but the most of them are glazed.

So then are mat glazed pots acceptable for conifers? The colour of this glaze can be very similar to those Yixing unglazed pots. I think they look nice potted in them.
Conifers usually look best in "earth toned" pots. Brown, grey, etc.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Peter,

the Yi Xing effect is a very fine clay taken from the body batch. Liquified clay, in a barrel, allowed to settle
take off the top 1 cm.

Particles so fine they melt on the body. Can be enhanced with a little feldspar or frit.

Ask your potters about a Slip Glaze.

They can do that easily. You can also have the Greek Attic ware effect, a slip that is reduced and goes
black or red. Around 950 or 900 deg.C
Can be done as a porous pot with a glaze.
Good Day
Anthony

* Science caught up with pottery around 1930 or so, so you can ask and obtain.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
I have a cork bark Japanese black pine in a glazed Vietnamese container. I did this for several reasons, but among them was this: I have a book called Artistic Potted Plants. The author was a Hong Kong banker who amassed a huge collection of penjing. He had many cork bark Japanese black pines, and some were potted in glazed Chinese fishbowl containers. I have written about this book elsewhere on BonsaiNut. So, this is what my tree looks like now.

View attachment 123768

I hasten to add that when I toured the gardens around the Emperor's palace in Tokyo, the guide explained that the Emperor who moved the capital from Kyoto to Tokyo specified evergreens as the predominant planting. He could have had anything but chose evergreens because they remained the same year round, were unobtrusive, but could be magnificent. Though I have no proof of this, my feeling is that bonsai masters must have taken their cue from this. They planted evergreens in unglazed pots--unobtrusive, earthy and humble.

And that's why my Ondae, above, is in a glazed pot. In this, I followed the Chinese.

I found the book I mentioned above: Man Lung Artistic Pot Plants, Second Edition published in 1974. The cork bark pine I mentioned in particular is on page 271, in the color section.

I really like the Tree and the Pot, but not together, I feel the pot is drawing my attention away from the tree and do not think that is appropriate...JMO

Top Bottom