Gnarly Ugly Elm

bonnsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Your Butt Ugly Elm

I think they are awesome, and when they develop their top foliage they will be great little trees! :)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another prune and new fertilizer for summer.

Attachments

• DSC_000100014.JPG
    DSC_000100014.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 215

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
sequence shots

Attachments

• DSC_00010001.JPG
    DSC_00010001.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC_00040004.JPG
    DSC_00040004.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC_00210001.JPG
    DSC_00210001.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC_000100012.JPG
    DSC_000100012.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC_000100014.JPG
    DSC_000100014.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 197

Sapling
Reaction score
Spectacular. This will be an amazing tree in short time. Keep up the good work.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmmm, time to start thinking about repotting this baby.

So I have this antique stand. I think it is the right size for the pot I want to use. The only thing I am not sure about is whether or not the tree will fit into the pot I have selected for the tree. The actual size is right but I am not sure the root ball will fit into this pot being only about 1.75 inches tall. The glaze sure is good though.

This is an old signed Yamafusa from Japan.

Attachments

• DSC_000100016.JPG
    DSC_000100016.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_000300032.JPG
    DSC_000300032.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 54

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That nebari is amazing...I can't believe I never paid attention to it before (probably because I was still very new to bonsai when I first saw this thread). The glaze on that pot is beautiful...and I love the shape of it. I know your climate is far different from Michigan, but how much do you think you can get away with in terms of cutting roots?

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As long as you dress the top of the soil with moss (100% of the surface), the tree will be fine in the shallow pot.You need that anyway (the moss, that is), if you want to display the tree indoors, on a stand. And since the pot is so shallow that the soil will rise above the edge of the pot, you need the moss to keep the soil from washing out.
Also, I allow the moss to have a thick soil base, when planted on the top of the bonsai medium. That keeps the tree moist enough for a day, during the hot days of summer.
I do this will all my small trees, and never ever lost one due to dehydration.

P.S. You could also use a thin top layer of kanuma, before you put on the moss. Kanuma has very good moisture retention, beside looking nice.

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As far as the thick soil on moss, I too have done that for an exhibit but never to just keep the tree around. I find that the mud on the bottom of the moss is a real soil clogger. I usually take the moss off after a show. Maybe I can use spahgnum moss for soil retention.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Lindsay Farr (I think that's his name. . . .) swears by sphagnum moss for this purpose.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
sphagnum works great for keeping those bits from rolling out.... personally I grow my moss in my pots.... but this is the great wet north... its hard NOT to... :p

and I don't know what ur smoking Attila ... :) .... Kanuma is fugly!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That nebari is amazing...I can't believe I never paid attention to it before (probably because I was still very new to bonsai when I first saw this thread). The glaze on that pot is beautiful...and I love the shape of it. I know your climate is far different from Michigan, but how much do you think you can get away with in terms of cutting roots?

Cutting roots on a elm here is really easy. You can cut them back quite severly and they respond well, almost seeming energised by the haircut. What I do not know is if the tree will have a claw or not. This is what may keep me from getting this tree from can to pot in one repotting. If it will not work, I will not force it because I know what happens when something is forced. It dies.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
sphagnum works great for keeping those bits from rolling out.... personally I grow my moss in my pots.... but this is the great wet north... its hard NOT to... :p

and I don't know what ur smoking Attila ... :) .... Kanuma is fugly!

I thanked you not cause the post was informative, but that you used the word fugly. One of my favorites. Right up there with FUBAR. Which is how I do bonsai. Everything I have is FUBAR.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I thanked you not cause the post was informative, but that you used the word fugly. One of my favorites. Right up there with FUBAR. Which is how I do bonsai. Everything I have is FUBAR.

LOL!!!! .... and damnit that post was informative too.... or summin... :p

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have the secret killer method for keeping the soil in the pot. I mix a little epoxy together with aquarium gravel and glue a thin layer to the soil surface...voila, no soil runoff!

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you learn your killer secret method at the mall? :p I have a deep blue glazed pot I'll sell you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom