Goliath BC

In the second frame of the first picture, the first note says "something" leader, but I can't quite make it out. Sever? Select? thanks for helping me read, and thanks for posting, this is a great schema to follow.
I thought it said "several"

In the second frame of the first picture, the first note says "something" leader, but I can't quite make it out. Sever? Select? thanks for helping me read, and thanks for posting, this is a great schema to follow.
I have those notes, sent to me by Zack, and mine are a tad clearer. It says “Select Leader … but don’t cut in year one”.

Wired up what may be the new leader. Tree is 26" tall at the cut, with a 6" base (I know, so tiny). Currently thinking about a 3 foot final height. Thoughts always welcome.

Attachments

• bc4.jpg
    bc4.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 42
Wired up what may be the new leader. Tree is 26" tall at the cut, with a 6" base (I know, so tiny). Currently thinking about a 3 foot final height. Thoughts always welcome.
If this were my tree, I would do the following come spring when it starts to grow again.
1. Prune off some of the branches near the top. You have some beautiful branches down below and need to encourage growth on those. BCs are so apical, those top branches can be regrown in no time so don't be afraid of pruning them.
2. I see that you got the lip rolling at the base of your apex. It is time to carve the trunk so you will have a smooth transition there. If you leave it alone, you will wind up cutting a lot of the extra growth away later when you style the tree.
3. Need to do branch selection down below as well. Prune off the ones you don't want and wire them.

Just my humble opinion. You do you my friend.

If this were my tree, I would do the following come spring when it starts to grow again.
1. Prune off some of the branches near the top. You have some beautiful branches down below and need to encourage growth on those. BCs are so apical, those top branches can be regrown in no time so don't be afraid of pruning them.
2. I see that you got the lip rolling at the base of your apex. It is time to carve the trunk so you will have a smooth transition there. If you leave it alone, you will wind up cutting a lot of the extra growth away later when you style the tree.
3. Need to do branch selection down below as well. Prune off the ones you don't want and wire them.

Just my humble opinion. You do you my friend.
Many thanks. On point 2, do you cut it on an angle from the leader or do you leave about half the chop flat and then angle the other half? (a la Zach Smith - btw, he officially retired).

Many thanks. On point 2, do you cut it on an angle from the leader or do you leave about half the chop flat and then angle the other half? (a la Zach Smith - btw, he officially retired).
The flat cut already served its purpose. You now have a healthy top with the lip roll started on your apex. I would angle cut 1/2" away from the current lip then use a knife to carve it so you have a rounded top that ends 1/8" away from your lip. This way you won't have an ugly flat angle on your tree.

I repotted the tree into a grow box and cut the top. I’m tempted to eventually cut lower, but will just leave it be this season. Tree is backbudding hard. Soil is very water retentive and would float away upon watering so I added a healthy layer of sphagnum moss to keep the soil in place.

Attachments

• IMG_7694.jpeg
    IMG_7694.jpeg
    420.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7695.jpeg
    IMG_7695.jpeg
    449.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7696.jpeg
    IMG_7696.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom