Another Privet..
Before n after Uro
rm727b.jpg

priv1.jpg

IMG_7030.jpg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@BobbyLane You sure have that carving thing down...how hard to do carve per session?

It depends really, on that Privet i only decided to remove the bark and make the front a dead wood feature a few weeks after doing the Uro. I try to do it in stages though, but its easy to get carried away.
IMG_6717_1.jpg

If Uro is to 'carve out' then i also use them on Yews, here is one ive recently been working on, apart from jinning branches on Yew i also like to hollow the ends out of thick branches, this happens in nature also...this Yew tree is actually a twin trunk, ive been styling to look like one massive trunk that was split by lightening or a heavy branch breaking away...
IMG_8104.jpg

IMG_8101.jpg

the-2000-year-old-yew-tree-bettws-newydd.jpg

yew02x_1.jpg

3 of the heavy branches on my tree have been hollowed right out

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Shima your sphere background...I believe one of your trees drew inspiration to me I seen on a FB bonsai group. I was having trouble with seeing fall colors/or fruit in something other than similar colored pots. This photo really opened my eyes...to seeing why some use complimentary colors from the color wheel...

Yours?
image.jpg

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Yes. Got a few for $2.! A woman in a high end community of the bay area had them made as drip trays for 1/2 gal. whisky barrels on her flat roof but they were so heavy the roof sagged. They must have been quite expensive. Heavy copper with a rolled edge. Currently it's the image at the top of my FB page. Glad it inspired you. Oh, it's the icon here too! Duh.:rolleyes:
Bruce Winter

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes. Got a few for $2.! A woman in a high end community of the bay area had them made as drip trays for 1/2 gal. whisky barrels on her flat roof but they were so heavy the roof sagged. They must have been quite expensive. Heavy copper with a rolled edge. Currently it's the image at the top of my FB page. Glad it inspired you. Oh, it's the icon here too! Duh.:rolleyes:
Bruce Winter
:cool: Sweet score!

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Forgot to mention... the upper left part of that opening (Uro?) has healed around the opening so that the tree in that area is only about 2"-3" thick.
CW

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A Green Island Fig, and a Crabapple with healed wounds that could be re-opened and carved out

Attachments

• IMAG0143 (576x1024).jpg
    IMAG0143 (576x1024).jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMAG0159 (576x1024).jpg
    IMAG0159 (576x1024).jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMAG0160 (576x1024).jpg
    IMAG0160 (576x1024).jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 19

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Geezzzz, how about some details? Or; how about a video??
Sorry, no video.

This is a JBP that was grown from seed starting maybe 15 years ago. A "seedling cutting". Allowed to get big by the use of sacrifice branches. Then removing them.

Anyway, I aquire X this tree a little over a year ago, and it was very unhealthy, so I spent s year nursing it back to health. One side of the tree had a huge Buda belly. Formed by swelling of many sacrifice branches.

I was going to make it the back of the tree and graft on new branches.

Boon suggested taking a different approach. Make a huge Uro out of it.

Before:
image.jpeg

We decided to open it up and try to connect the Uros inside. And follow the lifelines.
image.jpeg

The first part, Boon started with a hand tool to follow the sap line.

I then use a deemed to deepen it. Sorry, no picture of that. I was doing the cutting.

Then Boon used a drill to connect another Uro to the groove I had created with the dremel:
image.jpeg

After a little more work:
image.jpeg

We decided to leave it there and let it recover from that. The tree was Aldo decandled, and some needles pulled.

I have bought a couple carving bits from Graham Potter that I will use to deepen the carving. Eventually making it pretty hollow.

And we're starting a new sacrifice to thicken up the apex.

Project tree!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Very nice. Good to see the progression of the work.

Top Bottom