Grafting onto Scots Pine

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
In a little spinney on one of my usual dog walk routes there are a mix of Scots pine, maple, blackthorn etc planted around 30 years ago. These are pretty much my only local Scots pines of any note (that I have yet found) which aren’t all ginormous mature trees. Even in this lot most are well past the stage of being collectible, however, there is one smallIish one around 15ft tall that has a lot of potential down low with trunk and nebari, but no foliage that low (the lowest live branch being around 6 feet up).

As I have not been able to find a single wild grown seedling, sapling or small tree of any conifer near me I am wondering if it may be possible to graft some branches in lower positions on this tree, then in time remove the top and eventually collect the tree itself. Is this a technique anyone has employed? Would it even be possible? Thanks.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are plenty of places you can buy Scots pine on the net. I bought on eBay last year that were very bushy 3 year plants about 8 to 10 inches tall for less than $5 each. What you are proposing might be possible but it is not logical. Of course I know nothing about your grafting skills so I could be misspoken.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In a little spinney on one of my usual dog walk routes there are a mix of Scots pine, maple, blackthorn etc planted around 30 years ago. These are pretty much my only local Scots pines of any note (that I have yet found) which aren’t all ginormous mature trees. Even in this lot most are well past the stage of being collectible, however, there is one smallIish one around 15ft tall that has a lot of potential down low with trunk and nebari, but no foliage that low (the lowest live branch being around 6 feet up).

As I have not been able to find a single wild grown seedling, sapling or small tree of any conifer near me I am wondering if it may be possible to graft some branches in lower positions on this tree, then in time remove the top and eventually collect the tree itself. Is this a technique anyone has employed? Would it even be possible? Thanks.

Have you grafted before?

I’ve have found grafting to be tricky. When I have a controlled environment, proper materials, and the ability to cover and move the tree for ideal conditions, it’s still very difficult. I would think grafting Scots pine in the wild, while not impossible, would make an already challenging activity almost impossible. But, more experienced grafters might feel different.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would collect the tree first.
Damage attracts bugs, time allows stuff like drought/flooding to happen, and the roots go deeper every year. I don't think I'd leave grafts alone if I'd fine them in the woods

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Treat it like the haphazard experiment it is and hope for the best!

What kind of grafts?

Sorce

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Have you grafted before?
Ok, for a start, my grafting skills are currently non existent, but soon to be rectified. I plan on practicing with smaller material first so I’m not necessarily talking about soon, but when said skills are up to scratch.
I would collect the tree first.
Damage attracts bugs, time allows stuff like drought/flooding to happen, and the roots go deeper every year. I don't think I'd leave grafts alone if I'd fine them in the woods
I may have portrayed it as more wild than it actually is. I can see it from my kitchen window. However, I take your point. The thing about collecting first though is will it not kill the tree if I chop it’s head off? I know it’s fine with deciduous trees but not mature pines though right?
There are plenty of places you can buy Scots pine on the net. I bought on eBay last year that were very bushy 3 year plants about 8 to 10 inches tall for less than $5 each. What you are proposing might be possible but it is not logical. Of course I know nothing about your grafting skills so I could be misspoken.
You have not. I will just be getting small ones as well. This somewhat saves waiting for years for the trunk to develop. That’s the theory anyway.
What kind of grafts?
What do you suggest? 🙂

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Scion grafts will be the easiest to hide, and need the least maintenance.
There is a good Ryan Neil video on it.

Sorce
Tip top, thank you very much my man. That’s a cracking video on grafting.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Why would you chop the head off while collecting?
It will empty itself like a drinking straw, I guess. I've done it on smaller scots, but only with wound sealants.

But once it's in a pot and thriving, you can chop the head AND do grafting with the parts you take off the top. In a practical sense, I'd say the dig is the riskiest part, so I would get that out of the way first.

Grafting lessons are cool and all that. But if it doesn't make a difference because the tree died later due to it being dug up, I think it would suck more than the other way around.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Why would you chop the head off while collecting?
It will empty itself like a drinking straw, I guess. I've done it on smaller scots, but only with wound sealants.

But once it's in a pot and thriving, you can chop the head AND do grafting with the parts you take off the top. In a practical sense, I'd say the dig is the riskiest part, so I would get that out of the way first.

Grafting lessons are cool and all that. But if it doesn't make a difference because the tree died later due to it being dug up, I think it would suck more than the other way around.
Just because the tree is so large really. At some point I would want to reduce it down to 4 or 5 feet tops where the diameter is around 3 inches and then create a Jin of sorts. The idea may be a bit pie in the sky, I just want to know what’s possible. I get your reasoning.

My theory was first year graft some scions. Second or third year chop the top off and fourth or fifth year dig the tree. You are right about the potential disappointment of the tree not surviving collection though. I just wish I had some smaller examples to play with.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I just wish I had some smaller examples to play with.
I’d suggest going to the Swindon show at the end of the month, some of the traders are likely to have suitable material for sale.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Cheers Tom I‘m looking forward to it. My first proper bonsai show! I’m purposely only taking a bit of cash with me so I don’t go crazy, but I’m hoping I find something there.

Top Bottom