Grafting, tread, bud, peg.

Great Falcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I need hear from someone else, I thought bud graft as I have done is a bud "small new growth almost (scion)" to be grafted into an older branch, tread graft= might be a bit older branch to be used where you need a branch "bigger in length also", and peg graft= a full size branch to be grafted into a tree by drilling, most of the time cultivated specially for that particular tree, can all this be called the same technique? to me they are all different. thank you guys and gals. below is the answers I was getting, meaning that all those mention are the same.

(The hahaha is because we all three mentioned the same technique, I posted the same answer in a different post. Lighten up man)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All different. The thread graft and peg graft are safe. The bud graft requires removal from the donor plant and will die soon after removal if not bagged with cotton ball and injected with moisture and quick to knit.

The thread graft has been explained numerous times.

The peg graft can be done two ways. Drill the hole and insert the peg (scion)( actually removed from donor) with cambium all around exposed , bag, cotton ball and moisture and hopefull quick knit. The best peg graft is drilling the hole larger and folding the graft over inserting the point of the fold into the hole, thereby keeping the scion attached either to itself or the donor plant.

peggraft0001.JPG

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd never seen this peg technique, thanks for that! Would the donor branch ever work on the other side? As in the inward folded part, would it bud and leaf on that side?

Great Falcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was trying to explain that, all those are different, almost same purpose , but different approach and results. but they started laughing and saying is all the same. I just stopped answering, you can't teach someone that don't want to learn.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was trying to explain that,
all those are different, almost same purpose , but different approach and results. but
they started laughing and saying is all the same. I just stopped answering, you can't
teach someone that don't want to learn.

You are quite correct that they all are different ways of grafting while achieving basically the same thing.
You use the different techniques to achieve the best placement/ease of use/possibility of it taking for that
particular situation.
Ignorance is a state of not knowing something; however, stupidity is knowing there is an answer and either
ignoring or disregarding that information.
YOU CANNOT FIX STUPID!
Save yourself the headaches and don't try.

PS: if you like I will send you a pdf of an old nursery manual that will
give you all the information on grafting that you can stomach.

Great Falcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are quite correct that they all are different ways of grafting while achieving basically the same thing.
You use the different techniques to achieve the best placement/ease of use/possibility of it taking for that
particular situation.
Ignorance is a state of not knowing something; however, stupidity is knowing there is an answer and either
ignoring or disregarding that information.
YOU CANNOT FIX STUPID!
Save yourself the headaches and don't try.

PS: if you like I will send you a pdf of an old nursery manual that will
give you all the information on grafting that you can stomach.

that will be nice thank you.

Top Bottom