Grape vine question

Catagonia

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi, first time posting, six month newbie. I live in Sacramento, CA (Zone 9b), so mild winters.

We dug a grape vine up as part of a larger project and I thought I would try to save it as a bonsai.

I put it in a large plastic container with a mix of potting soil and cactus soil below it and cactus soil around the root ball (it's what I had on hand). There are definitely some roots, not a ton.

Questions:

Is there any chance it will survive or should I save time and toss it?

Would chopping it partially or fully hurt survival chances, or should I leave it alone till spring?

Is there a type of container or medium that would be better for its survival?

Any other tips?

Thanks!

(sorry if this is a double post, I don't see my first one as going through.)

Attachments

• grape.jpg
    grape.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 39

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That’s a pretty sweet grape vine. I definitely think you could have chopped it much lower, maybe it’s too late now but I don’t know your climate.

I would have used pumice. Dennis Vojtilla discusses collecting/rooting grape vines on the Mirai podcast. Perhaps worth a listen.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Grapevines can bleed to death if it has open wounds in spring. So don't forget to seal those cuts!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Grapes are VERY easy to transplant. Need very few roots and can be chopped almost to the ground and still survive. I would certainly have chopped lower if the view was for bonsai. Chopping now (your fall) should be safe as the cuts will be sealed come spring sap flow.

Catagonia

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks!

I took off a horizontal branches but left the whole trunk, because I thought that might be less harmful than the necessary trauma of ripping it out of our miserable clay soil.

Eventually I will chop it all the way below the lowest knobby bit and try rooting some of the other bits for experimental purposes. I am fond of that plant (which I planted as a nursery start when we moved here 15 years ago), so keeping a few bits would be great.

I’ll definitely find the podcast @Colorado mentioned.

Top Bottom