Grayish discolored bark - Ficus

Fedor

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Started noticing this last night.
I have been inspecting daily, so this development became noticeable rather suddenly.

Can anyone explain what it is and how to take care of it?

Thank you
D70478C3-18F1-4C58-8CD1-9E2137613F00.jpeg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Could just be hard water deposits. Is it in regular potting soil? Looks awfully wet.

Fedor

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Could just be hard water deposits. Is it in regular potting soil? Looks awfully wet.
I hope that is all it is. I was reading on Sclerotium rolfsii - "Southern Blight", hoping it isn't that.
It's in regular potting soil at the moment. I had just watered it prior to seeing the issue.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
You should think about repotting it into a better draining mix, so those tubes don't rot. Or you could just chop them off, unless you like them. I repot my tropical's in the summer, when they're outside and growing strongly.

Fedor

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You should think about repotting it into a better draining mix, so those tubes don't rot. Or you could just chop them off, unless you like them. I repot my tropical's in the summer, when they're outside and growing strongly.
I definatly plan on doing so in the summer, would it hurt to do it in the spring?

Fedor

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not completely sure what will become of the "tubers", but I like the front side much better. The one up high in front will go and maybe the arch root on the side.

Attachments

• 7C2DB03E-EF54-404F-9F5E-B6E3CE5AB1FB (1).jpeg
    7C2DB03E-EF54-404F-9F5E-B6E3CE5AB1FB (1).jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 10

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Not completely sure what will become of the "tubers", but I like the front side much better. The one up high in front will go and maybe the arch root on the side.
Your tree, as long as you like it.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It looks like limescale. If so, it's not going to harm this at all. If you don't like the look, get some white vinegar and a soft brush (like an old toothbrush) and brush it gently for a bit. Try not to get a lot of vinegar in the soil. Rinse the vinegar and soil well with water when you're done.

If it's not limescale and is instead something else, the vinegar will probably kill it.

Fedor

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It looks like limescale. If so, it's not going to harm this at all. If you don't like the look, get some white vinegar and a soft brush (like an old toothbrush) and brush it gently for a bit. Try not to get a lot of vinegar in the soil. Rinse the vinegar and soil well with water when you're done.

If it's not limescale and is instead something else, the vinegar will probably kill it.
Thank you very much!

Top Bottom