'Green Pagoda' Gingko

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello everbody, I'm new here and wanted to see if anybody at Bonsai Nut is familiar with 'Green Pagoda' Gingko. I just bought 3 in quart sized pots from my work. They're all about 16" tall and I'm assuming they were grown from cuttings; definitely not grafted and probably not from seed.

I've been looking for info on the internet, but the few places I've found seem to parrot the same information with very little description, 2' t x 16" w in 10 years. I've been working at a nursery for 8 years and have become very skeptical when it comes to mature size, growth rate and habit of landscape plants described by the growers. I know that some growers will purposely mislabel plants and sometimes they don't even know what they're growing. I try to consult Dirr first before checking plant info on the internet, because so much is incorrect and copied across the web.

These plants have around 12 inches of growth just from last year, which seems fast for a "dwarf" plant that will only be 2' in ten years. I had 'chi-chi' years ago which had shorter internodal spacing than these do and i think 'chi-chi' is a full size grower. I understand there are many variables when it comes to growth, just thinking about their training and how to proceed.

Has anybody seen or dealt with this cultivar? I'm excited i got these since my last gingko is long gone, and they generally seem to be a challenging subject for bonsai!

-cbroad

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Can't help you with the ginkgo question, but welcome to the forum!

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, this may be a new introduction so that's probably why there's little info out there, but somebody has at least had it for ten years...

Another question though, are ginkgo's exclusively styled in upright forms? I only see pictures of them in this form, but with age ginkgos can become wide spreading, and isin't a look of age what we're trying to achieve? I only ask because mine have branched, but if upright is only accepted bonsai form I guess I'll just take some cuttings!

-cbroad

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Yeah, this may be a new introduction so that's probably why there's little info out there, but somebody has at least had it for ten years...

Another question though, are ginkgo's exclusively styled in upright forms? I only see pictures of them in this form, but with age ginkgos can become wide spreading, and isin't a look of age what we're trying to achieve? I only ask because mine have branched, but if upright is only accepted bonsai form I guess I'll just take some cuttings!

-cbroad
I have seen nice informal upright ginkgos around...and have one ...You can style them as you like since they are young.

Top Bottom