Grewia Project

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
At Monday night's Bonsai Club meeting (on tropicals) I decided to participate in the workshop they were doing, I was hoping to get the pyracantha available but wasn't quick enough and got a grewia instead. 5 minutes into the worshop and the power went out, and we had to leave the building. The workshop is rescheduled for next month. At least now I get to look at and think about what to do with my new tree. Step one is to see if I can pump some new growth and strength into it.

Here are the four main views, and the root situation:
IMG_0050.JPGIMG_0051.JPG IMG_0052.JPG IMG_0053.JPG IMG_0056.JPG

Now from doing online research, this seems to be the "default" look for these trees. I want to remove or air-layer the top third at least. I'd like to try to put some curvature in the first trunk section as it's currently dead straight. I'm thinking far view tree, with maybe an aspen/poplar type silhouette. Any thoughts, tips or ideas?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Taking cuttings making forest.

I kinda like that look....but my eyes are Virgin to Grewia.

Oh and "that look", is future tense!

I'm with you!

Sorce

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Grewia takes a long time to thicken.
I have one in my front yard as a landscape plant.
About 10' high and about 1.5" at the base.
Eventually, if it ever thickens, I'll airlayer the top, dig up the stump and put the top back in the yard.

I've yet to see a very nice Grewia bonsai, but the blooms are lovely.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
With flowers like that in the middle of January, who cares if it ever "trunks up"?

Seriously, they can bloom off an on year round, if they are grown well. I have seen some that were much more "bushy", nearly as wide as tall. But I have never seen a bonsai Grewia with a trunk diameter over 0.75 inch. I think 1/2 inch is the thickest I've seen. But then again, I'm up north where it can't be grown outdoors more than 4 months a year.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I guess if you want to create more taper it needs to get chopped (maybe that first branch in the first picture?)

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've been looking at a lot of thinner trunked bonsai lately, and I think I can get over it being on the skinny side. There is an overly thick branch about 1/4 of the way down from the top that may become the new leader, or I may chop it a bit below that. Maybe try to layer the top off. Does anyone know how thick cuttings can be from these things?

Top Bottom